Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mars Express Live!

Options
  • 02-06-2003 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's a bit more of a scientific event than a political one, but given our discussion of US and EU programs in another thread here, I thought this might be of interest...

Mars Express (the first european interplanetary space probe, carrying the first european planetary lander, Beagle 2) is launching from Baikonur today at 1845 our time (BST). Following on from the NASA example of streaming video coverage of the shuttle launches (as well as many other things done in the program), the ESA is streaming the launch video live from here:
    http://esa.capcave.com/esa/marsexpress/

Enjoy....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Excellent..thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Should be really good to watch - one question though; what the hell is the EA doing in Baikonur, Kazachstan?? That is pretty much still Russian territory (though yes I am aware it has a national government *cough* puppet *cough*)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Dave,
    As I understand it, they needed to use a Russian rocket as the Ariane doesn't have sufficent ooompf for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Whoop! Looks like the launch went well!

Advertisement