Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provision Licence ???

Options
  • 02-06-2003 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Im applying for my first provisional, I understand the whole theory test thingy,
    But i was just wondering about the Medical and eye reports,
    What do these involve, and where the cheapest to get these done?
    I hear specsavers do an eyetest for students for 5 or 10 euro ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I just went to my GP and he signed the form. He would of course know that I'm in perfect health... not even grossly overweight.. *cough* erm yeas...

Go to your GP and for the price of a visit (if you're not on the medical card) you'll get the whole thing sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

An optician, unless theres a problem with yer eyesight it'll be quick and inexpensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭jammy_dodger

FFS its gonna cost me over €100 to get my provisional, Thats such a rip off,
    Theory test €34
    GP Visit €45
    Actual licience €15
    Eye test €10

Cheers for all the replies, i was worried that the medical could of involved some nasty instances with a ruber glove, but it looks like im paying me doctor €45 to sign his name and stamp a page.

RIDICULOUS

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The medical report is a new thing is it?

I'm pretty sure when I got my first provisional (about three years ago) it wasjust an eye test required.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by sceptre
    The medical report is a new thing is it?

I'm pretty sure when I got my first provisional (about three years ago) it wasjust an eye test required.

I know I didn't get a medical, just an eye test (and a fairly trivial one at that). On the plus side you only ever need to get it done once (don't know if that's much of a plus though...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

When I got my first (and only) provisional licence 6 years ago, I only needed an eye test. Since I'm a glasses wearer, I get my eyes tested reasonably regularly anyway, and it was just a case of going to the opticians and getting them to sign the form; I didn't even have to pay for it.

I'd imagine a doctor wouldn't charge you just to sign off a form if he knew you were in good health anyway - if you do need a medical certificate, I'd suggest ringing your GP first to see what he says before spending money on a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You have to get a medical cert now?

IIRC correctly, you only have to get a medical cert if you're over 65 or you answer yes to any of the questions (Are you epileptic?, are you an alcoholic?, etc) at the bottom of the form.

Maybe they've changed it.

If you're getting your licence from South Dublin County council, there's an opticians downstairs in Nutgrove who do cheap eye tests if you go in before 12pm. Very handy.

On the other hand, if you wear glasses, and your optician likes you, he may fill out the form for nowt for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've got a full bike licence. I assume this means I won't have to get an eye test (again) or a medical examination (??) when I apply for a provisional car licence this month? Have my theory test tomorrow... €34 is such a rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭jammy_dodger

How long did it take to arrange the driver theory test,

Oh and dose anyone else know what the wait is like when your applying for your first provisional?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by jammy_dodger
    How long did it take to arrange the driver theory test,

Oh and dose anyone else know what the wait is like when your applying for your first provisional?

Theory test is arranged quite quickly, and you take it within a month IIRC.

The wait for you first provisional depends on how you apply for it. If you do it via post, it can take about a month. If you go up to the counter, you'll get it in about 2 weeks, and you'll have a receipt that allows you to drive while you wait for your licence :)

• Advertisement

If you go up to the counter, you'll get it in about 2 weeks

When I got mine, I only had to wait for as long as it took yer man to fill it out. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Originally posted by Chimaera
    When I got mine, I only had to wait for as long as it took yer man to fill it out. :rolleyes:

I think seamus means you'll get the actual licence in about 2 weeks. You get a receipt straight away which lets you drive.

No, I got my actual licence at the counter while I was waiting - they may have changed things since then though.

Advertisement