Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Song Of Ice And Fire

Options
  • 02-06-2003 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Who else has been following this amazing series?

I got hooked on it after trying from the Library!! 3 books so far. Anyway im still waiting on the 4th to be released... pretty impatient!!! Even though i have other books yet to read i am reading ROTK (LOTR) again. Then i will either go back to WOT or Robin Hobb (liveship).

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i read the first book when it came out and loved it, then i got the second book and read a bit into it..
    then for some reason ( i don't remember why) i left it at that and never went back to book 2..
    i even bought book 3 when it came out and i have them all here on my shelves beside me but I have yet to read em..

someday I'll get around to it.. some day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yeah like WOT for me.. i will get back to it some time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

More on Song of Ice and Fire here.

pfft, seriously don't go back to wot :)

wait until the series ends and then i'll tell you what books to read and which ones to skip hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

This series is amazing! For ages I couldn't decide if it was better than LOTR or not, now I reckon it is. Not by much though...

According to the people on the official discussion board, it's looking like Feb-April 2004 for the next book, or possibly even later!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

I started reading them just a week or so ago.
    Mr. Martin is a genius. The thing that makes him so good is his complete lack of love for any of the characters. I'd like to see Robert Jordan try to kill Elayne or Nyneave or Lan. He just couldn't.
    And then there's the complete unpredictability of these books. You just don't know where they're gonna go.
    Jordan started out well but he lost it. And I hate seeing his quote on these books, "Grabs hold and won't let go". It may be true but by putting a quote on the cover it conveys him as somehow superior as a writer. No chance! Martin wins hands down.
    Kudos Mr. Martin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Although it is sometimes shocking when he kills a main character you never really miss that character - he doesn't kill the ones you really really like.

I really liked
    Ned Stark and his son Robb. Joffrey was deliciously evil aswell. Khal Drogo would have been cool to keep around and I thought Lord Mormont of the nights watch was great too. I was really shocked at what happened to Robb and Catelyn. I wasn't expecting that at all.
    Just writing that has got me thinking how many people die in the books. It's really quite staggering. :)

I was very fond of Cat and was indeed shocked when she was killed but now she's undead its even better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Well I'll be starting on these then.

/me toddles off to Amazon

[edit]Done and done![/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I know there's no firm date of book 4 yet, but does anyone know if GRRM has made any promise on how many theres going to be?

If it's going to be ten plus or something like that gob****e jordan I'd like to know. Though he can write as many as he likes as long as the quality doesn't slip.

If you check out his homepage and click on bibliography you'll see he has 6 books listed under a song of ice and fire (A Storm Of Swords being 1 book) For those who couldn't be arsed checking,

A Song of Ice and Fire:
    - A Game of Thrones, Bantam Books, 1996
    - A Clash of Kings, Bantam Books, 1999
    - A Storm of Swords, Bantam Books, 2000
    - A Feast for Crows, forthcoming/Bantam Books
    - A Dance with Dragons, forthcoming/Bantam Books
    - The Winds of Winter, forthcoming/Bantam Books

I wonder if any of the remaining will be split into 2.?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If you don't like long books, be warned then about Steven Erickon's excellent Malazan series. It's planned for 10 books and each book is at least 800 pages.

It also happens to be absolutely excellent :) Not like everyone's favourite gobsh**e fantasy author...

Really long series' and books don't bother me at all as long as the prose and plot demand it.

If Jordan kept the early standard of the first books he could write 20 for all I cared.

From the looks of things Martin has set himself a target of 6 books to get the series finished in which is encouraging. Every single fantasy author I have ever read has let his standards slip terribly over time.

Jordan for example clearly has a bad case of writers block but can still knock out a huge book filled with bubkis.

Fantasy writers make me nervous.

I've been hurt too many times.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Omg!

/me cracks a bamboo shoot off self until blood and bruises appear while sobbing frantically

Almost missed this thread....

The series is Teh Figgin' Win. Very believeable world, the characters are amazing and Martin isn't afraid to kill off his characters.
    The Frey wedding - Masterfully written, didn't see any of it coming. The master of the Dreadfort (name escapes me atm, haven't re-read the books yet as I remember too much of them)....blimey if he wasn't some bastard.

Now just 112 more years to get the next 3 books....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Excellent series of books, probably the best I've read to date. Can't wait for the next one.

Just in the middle of rereading them, just a quick spoiler filled question or theory.

Major spoilerage, maybe even for those who have read them all, thats if I'm right.
    Does anyone else think that Jon isn't actually Eddard Stark's son, but rather Lyanna's by way of Rheagar? And that Rheagar wasn't necessarily the rapist scumbag that has been presented to us? And also that Jon will be one of Daenerys's Dragon riders? Three heads has the Dragon.. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I like the cut of your jib DapperGent. very interesting guestulation.

After the
    Frey Wedding
    I actually had to put down the book and go for a few cigarettes to calm myself down. i was really shocked and upset by it:(

Shows the callibre of writting when ye can do that to a grown man (->debateable ;))

Got my girlfriend reading it now, she was always moaning about fantasy and how do i read such "****" So i've made her start reading this series and told her i'd never read fantasy again if she didnt love the series as well.
    Think it was a safe bet, not that i would have kept my word. Miss out on the rest of Mr.Martin's unbelievably brilliant work??? I think not!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭valen

I met the author's wife last summer at a battle reenactment in Dungarvan (she hangs around with some wiccans from up leitrim direction, who also do some medieval reenactment with us), and she promised then that book 4 would be out by november 2002. She's crackers, but dead sound.

She even had a tshirt with the cover of the book on it. So don't believe what anyone tells ya about the release date, if she can't get it right.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

I'm sure I've said so before, but just in case:
    A Song of Ice and Fire is the best fantasy series I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

still amazed i hadn't heard of him before this board, gone and bought book 1 at lunchtime , feck the wheel of time :mad:

Hear hear. The latest installment of the wheel of time has to be the worst book I've ever read. I'm seriously beginning to think Jordan may have died / retired and the publishers have found a dodgy ghost writer.

halfway through book 3 atm..

god damn..

sweeet mother of god... DAMN!

i love this series, i want to finish the book and see what happens.. but then i will be left for ages waiting for book 4 to come out

it's just not fair

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

First I've heard of A Song Of Ice And Fire. Can see myself checking the library for tomorrow though.

I've read all of the Wheel of Time books to date and I have to agree with what people are saying. I was really dissappointed with book 10. It did so little to further the plot. In terms of the timeline the book seemed to cover only a very uneventful 2 or 3 weeks.

I tried to re-read it too but couldn't get back into the first book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

OK , just finished all 3 / 4 books published to date, thanks for the recommendation guys it has been a great read, good character development , interesting and complex plot and plenty of violence !

I really really hope George does not succumb to the fate of so many other writers and puts dollars before the readers.

Anyone know if the series has an end , ie. there will only be book 5 ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Apparently there's six books and that's it. Hope he doesn't waffle coughrobertjordancough like others have....

Advertisement