Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morrowind - That itch is back!

Options
  • 02-06-2003 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Oh No! Oooh No!

I feel like playing Morrowind again. Arrrgh! :rolleyes:

I played this for a solid 2 months last year and it sucked my life away. But the world is sooo realistic. :)

Just curious is anyone playing this game (or has been) lately? The reason I ask is that CPU/Graphic cards and memory is much cheaply available for this game now. Is anyone playing this game with anything less than a P4 ? I have a PIII-850Mhz with 512Mb and a GeForce 2. The rig is old but I don't plan to upgrade until at least until xmas or early next year. Dues Ex 2 and Doom 3 are in my sights.

If anyone is.. running with a high-end PIII or maybe a lower end P4. I would glad to hear what you thought of this game? I found it tends to crash to the desktop every 2 hours or so and is a damn resource hog.... even after 2 patches. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

I picked it up in Virgin for 25 quid 2 months ago. I am playing on an XP2000+/9700 Pro. Graphics are absolutely excellent throughout, fully maxed at 1024x768. The water rippling is stunning, never a slowdown. I'd say it crashed maybe every day or two, depending on how many quicksaves I was doing ( I think I noticed a link there). Then it would just drop instantly back to the desktop. Don't know about resources - ran fine on 512Mb DDR. I understand when it came out at full price last year that spec was (for me too at the time) totally unaffordable.

However, after a week I gave it up because I just didn't have the time to put into it. Walking everywhere became a drag, and I ended up walking to start levelling up. Juts took too long, but I'd probably go back to it in a few weeks just to mess about. Beautiful scenery - some of the best in any game I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Morrowind is my favourite game of all time. To me, its like a marriage. It has a lot of faults, but I accept them as part of who morrowind is. I love morrowind, I dont go a day without thinking about it. When we first met, the love was passionate, I was with it every minute of the day, I couldn't let go. But after a while the passion faded, I didn't play for much. Apart from the odd spontaneous all-nighter, I didn't even turn on the xbox. Things were stale, we decided to see other people. Neither of us were happy. So, after a two month break, we decided to give it another go. The passion was back, I played for hours on end, days passed when I didn't leave the house, my friends didn't understand. Morrowind understood though. Now that thew passion is gone again, we have something different, something better, love and this time its long-term. Now every evening after work or school, Morrowind and I put in some quality time. We're happy now, and I know that no matter what happens, morrowind will always be there for me.

Its a very buggy game. On the xbox you have to worry about the savegame size. If it gets too big, the game gets unstable. Console games aren't meant to be like that:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Originally posted by pleb
    Its a very buggy game. On the xbox you have to worry about the savegame size. If it gets too big, the game gets unstable

Savegames? Hmm. I tended to save a lot because of exactly that... crashes.. maybe if I didn't save so much but then again I don't want to lose a lot of time due to a silly crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

:D dont ya love just paradoxes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

same with me hamster, i got the game the day it came out in ireland and played it non stop till i was the head of a few guilds and able to kill Vivec with any weapon, and now somehow i've got addicted to it again in the past week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Grand_Izer

Does anyone have an ETA for the european release of the bloodmoon expansion pack? Playing as a werewolf sounds rather neat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Love morrowind haven't had the many CTD's on it the odd one or two, it is with out a doubt a beautiful game(run it on xp 2200, 1 GB ram and gf4 so no major probs)
    also have the tribunal expansion which i got in smiths for 12.99 on the same day it was 34.99 in game ,so I will be going to smyths for bloodmoon expansion when it arrives will probably buy the gold edition on the x box too when it arrives, haven't really played the expansion that much yet, there seem to be plenty of mods out there can any one recommend any good ones?
    But I would definately give this game a big thumbs up
    ( Ieven bought morrowind t shirts from the web site !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Morrowind was great but my char was God like at level 50 so it became no challenge. I only played some of the expansion though.. it was a lot harde and i might get back into it.

Why not post this in Roleplaying by the way? we get lonely sometimes talking about NWN all the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

tbh I got bored of it very quickly.. Does look amazing though.

Just re-encountered those fanastic sunsets again and a moon-lit night over Lake Amaya hunting for pearls in kollops... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I could never really get into morrorwind, wish i did :( looks great and feels ever so smooth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

If you have an Xbox and like Morrowind, wait til they release Fable....

read the E3 report and saw the screenshots........ *drooool*

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

I just got back into playing it after a lengthy break. I stopped playing it because I spent way too long piddling about not following the main quest...then got bored with it. I'm now concentrating on the main quest which I'm nearly finished. :)
    Can't wait for Bloodmoon - should be out around the 30th of June.
    And if anyone's interested - Gothic II should be out around the 13th June (or so I've heard!).

Boog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Morrowind is really win. Oh yes.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

i really liked Morrowind
    " Greetings outlander "

Helped me cope with life after ever quest.
    but as good as the non linear qualties were you still got last or wandered into where you got ur ass kicked or could not figure out way to complete some of the quests.

Originally posted by Thaed
    could not figure out way to complete some of the quests

True! Many a time I would enter a cave and a crowd of NPCs would rush at me and declare that they will never be killed/captured etc. :rolleyes: I would ask myself at this point: "Oh Oh! I stumbled into another mission without getting briefed on the quest". In otherwords, you would bump into new quests without knowing the background. Many a time you would find out later from the guy who issued the quest.... that you were not meant to kill the wizard with the big gem etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

well ive said it before and i`ll say it again the Music was the best thing about. THough i feel that way about BF1942 and i love that game also.

The game was a hog it needed 256 megs minum according to the box. It ran fine for thead in a 1 gig athlon with a gforce 2mx400 bit it had loads of ram. It crashed a lot but after a patch it was fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

I joined the Thieves Guild first, even though i was more suited to being a fighter. Several thieves guild missions in, i joined the fighters guild and my second mission was to kill some thieves guild bugger and take a cod book. Course I couldnt do that cos id lose all the work id done for thieves guild, so i left it alone for ages. Later on i went back and pickpocketed the thief to complete the fighter guild mission, which is sort of ironic really. If id known then as much as i know now, it would have been a lot easier :)

Ahh, i love Morrowind :)

A

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm afraid of playing it. Just like Everquest. They have the potential to ruin my life.

Advertisement