Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VCD DAT Files

• 02-06-2003 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is it posible to convert the DAT file from a VideoCD into a compressed format (such as DIVX) for storage on my hard drive.

If so, can anyone recommend some programs that will do this for you.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

rename them to .mpeg. they are normal mpeg files.

converting them to divx will not me a good idea as the mpeg1 compression artifacts will show up much worse after the recompression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Its not a problem of playing them, its the size problem. 50 mins is like 550mb!

I have full films that are better quality and smaller size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

mpeg1 is an old encoding method, not a patch on newer ones like mpeg2 and mpeg4. it creates larger lower quality files than what can be done now. you can use virtualdub to convert it to divx but its gonna look rougher than a prostitute standing on the corner of arbor hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

but its gonna look rougher than a prostitute standing on the corner of arbor hill.

lol Ok so, I not really stuck for space anyway, Ive got an 80gb HDD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    its gonna look rougher than a prostitute standing on the corner of arbor hill.
    :D

He's right though - it'll be like taking a low bitrate mp3 and trying to make a high quality mp3 out of it. You can reencode and it'll do it but you won't get any of the quality back. Actually, you'll most likely get another series of artifacts introduced as a result.

• Advertisement
Advertisement