Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History and Statistics of the Leaving Cert Results

Options
  • 02-06-2003 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any websites which have the history of the leaving cert results? For example: 9.8% of students got an A in Higher English in 2002. I have searched Yahoo and I can't find them anywhere. I saw them a few weeks ago in some newspaper and they really calmed my nerves!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

I got a pull out from Irish Times in August with perecentages on all subjects in 2001 and 2002. I look at it everyday and it cheers me up :)

My scanner is wankered so can't show it. However I'll post up a few statistics from 2002. All numbers are percentages

Maths(H): A-12 B-28 C-31 D-20 Failed-5

Maths(O): A-13 B-23 C-24 D-22 Failed-15

English(H): A-10 B-25 C-40 D-21 Failed-1 <---my fave statistic :)

English(O): A-8 B-31 C-35 D-20 Failed-3

Irish(H): A-12 B-33 C-40 D-15 Failed-0.6 (why did I drop down to pass??? :()

Physics(H): A-13 B-25 C-28 D-22 Failed-10

History(H): A-12 B-28 C-31 D-21 Failed-8

Classical Studies(H): A-6 B-20 C-30 D-25 Failed-17

Applied Maths(H): A-27 B-27 C-20 D-16 Failed-8

Geography(H): A-7 B-26 C-37 D-24 Failed-5

If you want a specific subject/level let me know or someone find an online source and save me some work :)

Btw some statistics mightn't add up perfect because in the paper they are divided out like A1,A2,B1,B2 etc and I'm too lazy to do that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

classics, history, applied maths, and physics would be nice :)

Should have said one per customer lol. I assumed you are doing all honours. Check above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I would love to ask you for all my subjects but I could you pleasw tell me the Ordinary English and Higher Geography?
    BTW thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement

Np. Give me your other subjects and I'll put them up.

Oh and if someone finds an online source for these now I'll set my imaginary dog on you! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Isn't it weird that the same amount of points are going for an A1 in ordinary and a C3 in higher yet only 8% and 13% got an A in ordinary Maths and English respectively while 24% and 40% got a C in Higher. It just shows ordinary level students are being discriminated against. I dropped down to ordinary English last year but I'm pretty sure I would have got at least a D2 in higher but now I have to get an A2 to match that result. Its a joke, 5 points for a D3 in ordinary, what the hell is the use of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

yay!

I was in 5% of the hons maths last year!

pity about the fail tho :(

Scraping a pass in honours is much easier then getting a B1 in pass imho.Thats why I'm doing higher level in subjects I am terrible at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Originally posted by Celtic Tiger
    Scraping a pass in honours is much easier then getting a B1 in pass imho.Thats why I'm doing higher level in subjects I am terrible at.

maybe in some subjects but not in maths no way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Not true.

Business for eg. Ordinary dont do a ABQ. less to learn therefore easier.

Maths: less proofs to learn among other crap

Physics: different experiments

much easier to get a A in ordinary than scrape a pass in hons tbh

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Kaimera
    Not true.

Business for eg. Ordinary dont do a ABQ. less to learn therefore easier.
    Yes... much easier. I didn't do it but I saw the paper and I could have done it with my eyes closed.

Obviously I'm not denying that ordinary level is easier than higher level.

My point is that to get an A in ordinary level you will have to know everything you are expected to know. In honours to get 40% you don't, not by a long stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Obviously I'm not denying that ordinary level is easier than higher level.

My point is that to get an A in ordinary level you will have to know everything you are expected to know. In honours to get 40% you don't, not by a long stretch.

Well they are effectively seperate subjects, you have to know everything you are expected to know to get an A in higher level too like. The content is harder to obtain a pass in higher level vs a good grade in ordinary level. Like after my JC i could do most of the LC pass maths paper, but i probally couldn't answer one question on the hons paper, its just the way it is.

Isn't it weird that the same amount of points are going for an A1 in ordinary and a C3 in higher yet only 8% and 13% got an A in ordinary Maths and English respectively while 24% and 40% got a C in Higher. It just shows ordinary level students are being discriminated against. I dropped down to ordinary English last year but I'm pretty sure I would have got at least a D2 in higher but now I have to get an A2 to match that result. Its a joke, 5 points for a D3 in ordinary, what the hell is the use of that?

The point is that you have to do the harder subject to get a decent ammount of points, its a competition at the end of the day to get the most points. Its supposed to seperate those out who excell from those who don't, so the system of ord level getting much less points is fair and required, if it wasn't like that the results would be all muddled up and courses would end up with alot of unsuitable people doing things they arn't able for.(not that doesn't happen anyway..)

Advertisement