Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrishWisp Question

Options
  • 02-06-2003 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

In the hope that there are some users of Irish Wisp here at the moment, I've a few questions if possible. I originally posted this on the IOL board, but since it got no replies, I deleted it to make the board a little less cluttered. If reposted to another board is frowned on, dont hesitate to delete the thread. Thanks.

Anywho, since I apperently am out of luck with regard to getting any other form of BB, I am down to the wireless providers. I am just really looking for some feedback on the quality of the Irish Wisp service. I trawled the search engine, but the threads I found all seemed to be quite out of date, so any fresh views would be great.

Also, if there is anyone using the ethernet conversion, which from what I understand from the site they are requiring for mulitple PCs, just what is this? Is it just a router, to which you can connect your PCs, or what?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

Hi

I have irishwisp, and the ethernet option.

The service is reasonably good, with occasional outages. Check the stickied BB pings thread above for download speeds and such, but all in all a pretty fast service for download, but a bit woeful for pings. If its gaming you want, this may not be the service for you. The jitter (ping variation) fluctuates quite wildly sometimes, seems to be depending on their back-end contention. The pings are a bit latent as well, usually OK, sometimes bad (ok == 120ms to the UK, bad == a lot worse, like 200-400ms sometimes).

For download the service is good. I usually get more than my specced speed :)

The ethernet option is a wireless ethernet bridge. I have it hooked up to a linux gateway, so my home lan is NATted and routed thru the gateway. I took this option because the wireless card that was supplied at the time wasn't linux compatible (issues with Texas Instruments releasing specs on the chipset).

Hope this helps!

Advertisement