Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorbike insurance gone up

Options
  • 03-06-2003 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

jsut to let you all know that the motorbike Insurance with hibernian has gone up :( well mine on the Marauda 125 was 1090 two months ago , now it's 1200. Robbing b@stards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm glad I paid my premium last month. €711 for TPO cover on a '99 Virago 125 - but I do have a full licence and 40% no claims discount. 20 years old also.

I'm so gonna get reamed for car insurance when I start driving cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Hey Stephen, The Virago 125 was highly recommended to me as great first time bike.... I can get cover for about 900 quid for third party only on a provisional lic at 21yrs old.

How do you find it? and did you buy it privately or from a shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I bought mine second hand from a dealer (Baldrick's in Kilkenny). It is a good first time bike due to the cheap-ish insurance and general lack of power ;) You will probably have to change the chain and sprockets on it about once a year if you're doing much mileage - i did about 7000 miles on it last year.

You will get bored of it and want something more powerful after a while, but its a good bike to learn on. I'm sticking with it for the foreseeable future, since I haven't a hope of affording insurance on a bigger bike or car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Thanks for the advice.... I am only looking for something to get me started that wont cost me a fortune to ensure.. i am not really interested in some big super fast sports bike, reliability is probably the most important factor for me.. I will be travelling about 50 - 60 miles per day though...

do u think the virago 125 would handle that?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Saw a thread elsewhere on this. Cotters have updated their insurance list. I'm not a happy bunny either. My insurance is due for renewal this month, but I have my full licence and Ignition course done since last year. Was expecting a 50% reduction in last year's premium. Looks like the prices have gone up 10%. Feck!

I had a glance at the prices on Cotter's site and the difference between provisional and full licence holders is approx 20-25% in my age group in various classes. Hibernian's press release last month that got MAG agitated said a 35% reduction for full licence holders. No sign of that! So no surprise there then.

-ao-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

i thought there was some kind of increase alright. rang up for a quote on a Yamaha Venture Star today and got €1835 (TPO) back.. thats a grand more than my current insurance. Damn hibernian

Advertisement