Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cross network MMS ??

• 03-06-2003 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭

So does anybody have any inside knowledge on this ?

When are we going to get it ? Doing my head in having all my friends on Voda and me on O2 , in the uk they have all signed and set up inter-connects , so whats the hold up here ?

I know people who are considering moving networks because of this , surly it is in there best interest to get this up and running.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Text messaging never took off until you couls send it to any network so i expect it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It will happen soon, you can send MMS while roaming with Vodafone which was introduced just recently so it cant be that long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

thats just pure guesswork.

It wont happen anytime soon at all, there are a number of big problems at the moment with the way that O2, Vodafone and Meteor have all the different systems provisioned never mind the interconnect agreement which is the big stumbling block.

Emmo

Its not really. The fact that you can send MMS while roaming proves that they have achieved a high level of interoperability across networks so far. While the networks are owned by Vodafone, I can assure you that the majority of these networks were implemented at different times and by different manufacturers. On that, it is just a matter of different operators coming to agreements regarding interconnect agreements, as it seems quite obvious the technology and the know how is in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Oh im not disagreeing that it wouldnt be that hard to intergrate but with the current problems taking GSM EDR's and CDR's between operators for FMNP I think its more complicated that you may realise.

The interconnect disagreement is just the icing on the cake. Got to you remember that Vodafone was the main player when the orginal was drawn up but with O2 selling themselves as the home of mobile data they wont get burned on the price and Meteor are fighting tooth and nail to keep their margins on their SMS majority Revenues which MMS is bound to canabalise.

Emmo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

there seems to be some heal dragging going on :(

last time I checked this is what happened when attempting to send MMS both ways

BrianG

I think Nokia are just after releasing a solution for cross network MMS, well recently enough anyway!

Regarding Vodafone keeping there Live content on a clossed intranet, I am not too sure. I think they are just restricting access to it depending on a) what handset you have and b) are you a Vodafone customers. I am guessing they use your IMSI or SIM number to verify that your a Vodafone customers.

All Vodafone Live configurations, i.e. Ireland, UK and so on all access live.vodafone.com as the home URL. It is there that each customer is given the appropriate content depending on who they are. Again, I think!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The problem has never actually been with cross network MMS, just with the billing. Both O2 and Vodafone are looking to create a single price point for the sending of an MMS. In reality MMS is a mixture of pull and push in that your MMS is stored for download by your recipient, who is notified via WAP Push (an encoded SMS) – so theoretically billing would occur on both the sender and recipient side of things. If you want to create a single price for MMS, then you have to have a large degree of control or agreement on both sides of the transaction.

Hence and delays are probably a mixture of political and logistical (verification of origin network, etc) factors rather than technological and so I doubt if Nokia alone could solve the problem.

Vodafone’s WAP gateway has always been limited to an intranet. Even if they wanted to change that, they would have backward compatibility problems with handsets that are using false DNS’s to access Vodafone’s content.

User identification, by both operators, is made at the WAP gateway, so whether they’re on an intranet or not is immaterial. One passes the user MSISDN on from the WSP session to the HTTP server as a custom HTTP request header, and the other uses URL rewriting to pass the MSISDN.

Hope that clears up a few misunderstandings ;)

Sound!! Well there ya go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    The problem has never actually been with cross network MMS, just with the billing.
    Although billing has been a huge factor in the delay of interoperatorable (I'm just making words up) MMS, the network end of it was & to a certain degree, still is a big issue.

Only recently, O2 sorted out a problem whereby Nokia handsets couldn't receive MMS's.

O2 & Vodafone are working closely on this inter-operator MMS malarkey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 azeem

We've found that cross network and cross-phone MMS is really unreliable. I use a 7650 on Orange and a friend uses a Panasonic GD87 on Vodafone.

All her MMS's come through with "objects" that I have to open in the 7650 But 1 time out of 3 the objects are empty, even though I can see the full message on her phone.

Roaming is even worse: Orange has only one roaming partner in Germany (E-Plus) whose MMS coverage is sketchy. In Austria, they supposedly have MMS roaming with T_Mobile but I saw little evidence of that.

What do u mean MMS coverage is sketchy?? It uses GPRS as the medium, so wherever GPRS is available, MMS is available for any operator that actually offers MMS is available. Or do you mean the service is just ****?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 azeem

Ok. All I know is that in Dusseldorf yesterday, I had very limited GRPS coverage; and that E-Plus only managed to send four of the seven MMSs I sent...

Thats purely down to either the GPRS service probably, or the MMs service is just dogy on the providers end.

Advertisement