Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE News 1pm today RE: Wireless funding BMW Region

Options
  • 03-06-2003 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

I have been part of a consortium that has been succesful in our application for the funding. Were just finished with RTE and they have informed us there will be a little piece on the X Proposal. Yours truely may be there looking very sleepy in himself :)

Should be on at about 1:05pm ish and maybe again on the 6pm news.

Edit if this is the wrong place for this feel free to move it lads.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Well done R|R.

adam

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

<g33k> Set phasers to STUNNING!</g33k> rar :P .

I will be looking out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Hats off to ya Ronan:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Well done Ronan. I don't know anyone from Ballyhaunis but I do know someone in the (very general) area & up to now they've been pretty sure they'll never see any kind of broadband. Community initiatives like this will probably give a lot of hope to those not in the major towns and cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Im from Xmyself and there seems to be a great level of interst in both of the towns. I havent seen the piece yet as Ive been sorting out the post bank holiday mess :) At least it is going to give the people who dont live in mass population centers a chance to avail of an affordable always on connection. Even if DSL was available in this area id reckon most would fail the line test as the lines are split all over the place. Hmm I should have ran infront of the camera and ripped the head off a Toy Rat :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Pld Ronan im sure you will soon have it in at home for me to uhm "Test" rar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr.M

thanks for the great news Ronan.i'm only 4-5miles outside ballyhaunis so it looks like i might have BB sooner than i thought.
    also Ronan, any idea where in Ballyhaunis there are going putting the mast and whats the estimated time of completion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

News clip viewable here - although i couldnt get it to play...(probably something to do with crappy real player:rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Just saw it on the 9 O'clock news, well done, it's great news, hopefully we can get this deployed everywhere in the country.

the reporter on the news was sickening badly informed though, with his opening spiel going on about

"such high tech technology like ISDN will never be available here, so broadband is out of the reach of ..."

Very true nahdonic. i noticed that about the ISDN point he made second I heard it, as i type this im on ISDN lol. Ah well reporters eh.

In regards to your question Mr. M it will be a number of months before the service is fully running. All the relevant details will be on the website once it us up and running :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr.M

@Ronan
    whats the web site address?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Heh, an eircom "wake up to broadband" ad on while the clip is loading. Oh the irony.

I found the reference to ISDN as a "high tech" technology more laughable than the reporter being misinformed about the availability of it :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Lastmile (JW) are the Irish agent for which equipment supplier Ronan ?

Congrats and happy rat killing in Ros.

M

Tbh pie where he got the information about the availability of ISDN is something that I do not know. There seemed to be a few "flaws" in the report but I suppose some media coverage is better than none. I also had a chortle at the eircom broadband splash at the beginning ofthe clip :)

Muck I dont know whom they are the official suppliers for I assume it is on their website. [edit]not very helpful I know[/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

thanks

Probably this Kit here. Remember that Wimax is good for Roscommon

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    News clip viewable here - although i couldnt get it to play...(probably something to do with crappy real player:rolleyes: )

also had a problem viewing.

open real player and copy and paste whats below

rtsp://streaming2.rte.ie/2003/0603/9news56.rm

very poor quality.
    also lacking the eircom ad. :(
    skip to 26mins and 33 secs for the story.

Well done Ronan|Raven.

Sorry about not having all the exact details to hand theres so many of them I cant remember them all :) That and im half asleep here. I know they have Redline and other companies are on their partners page. All the relevant information for the project should be up on a dedicated site as soon as it is live I will post back the url's for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

Last Mile Wireless have dealerships with Redline Communications and Proxim. This'll most likely be the equipment used in Ballinlough/Ballyhaunis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Proxim is going to be used (Smartbridges did not work very well in that the base station locked up with more than 20 users connected simultaneously). Redline will probably be used for backhaul to bypass having to get an Eircom leased line. At least that was one idea.

Check out the Proxim Tsunami MP.11 multi point family:

http://www.proxim.com/products/all/tsunami_mp11/index.html

"Tsunami MP.11 is a robust and affordable 11 Mbps wireless point-to-multipoint connectivity family of solutions ideal for campus networking and last mile access. Easily providing an outdoor extension to your LAN, the Tsunami MP.11 enables the instant creation of wireless WANs for a number of applications such as security and surveillance and portable classrooms."

Advertisement