Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the fate of FRIACO?

Options
  • 03-06-2003 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

from the register Tiscali have cut people off their "Anytime" flat rate product and have introduced a 150 hour cap.

is this what is going to happen in Ireland? the whole idea of flate rate was that you did not have to watch the time you spent online but now you will have to count the hoursyet again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

FRIACO is a wholesale product, not a retail one. It is up to the induhvidual ISP to determine the nature of the retail product they introduce, the product is flat rate for the ISP, i.e. they rent a port in the exchange for which the call on it aren't metered.

However there is a contention for that port, you are sharing it with X number of people, to make renting the port economical. So therefore it is reasonable to expect that the ISP will introduce rules to ensure that no one person is hogging all the time on that port.

If you don't like the deal you are getting with one ISP, I suggest you vote with your feet. I am sure MUCK et al will correct any mistakes I have made in the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

does anyone have the UK contention ratio for FRIACO so we can confirm our own FRIACO with it ?

I'm not sure how they do it, probably 48:1 on a 33.6k port

(Eircom maintains that the average dialup speed is 33600)

Thats less than 1Kilobit per person at the peak, 0.1kbyte per second or so data speed. I ain't seen the Eircom RIO offering the outline spec and price yet so that is wild speculation :)

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Muck
    does anyone have the UK contention ratio for FRIACO so we can confirm our own FRIACO with it ?

I'm not sure how they do it, probably 48:1 on a 33.6k port
    The actual contention (both user/modem ratio and bandwidth contention) would be down to the ISP. The FRIACO wholesale product refers only to dedicated capacity. The ISP can opt to connect a lot of modems to this capacity if they want a cheap service or few if they want to cater only to heavy users at high cost per user.

I'm not sure what the bandwidth contention is in the UK but I think the typical user/modem ratio is around 10:1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Thats the number of modems per customer I suspect.

10:1 means the ISP only has one modem for every 10 customers. After that you get busy tones till someone logs off.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    The ISP can opt to connect a lot of modems to this capacity if they want a cheap service or few if they want to cater only to heavy users at high cost per user.
    I did not phrase this correctly. What I should have said is that the ISP can choose to connect a lot of users to this capacity (in practice it would still be one modem per 64k "port".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I think a lot of people will only want FRIACO for the fact they can use it at peak hours. I'd be more than happy with 150 hours at anytime and I'd say the majority of internet users would be happy with that too. The may need to be a different 'type' of FRIACO product developed for people who need unlimited access. Of course broadband is what is really needed but when that's not available at a decent price then FRIACO will be the only option.

Advertisement