Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3/Cd Player

• 03-06-2003 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

I hope this falls within the technology section, I think it does. I will be travelling to the US tomorrow and am planning on buying a CD player while I'm over there. It'll prob be this one

IRiver Slim 350

The thing is I'm concerned about whether it'll work when I bring it home. Has anyone any experience in the voltage difference between the States and here? (Ireland). Obviously I'll have to buy some sort of converter but is it practical or am I gonna damage it if i do something stupid? :eek:

thanks in advance. need a quick answer on this for obvious reasons.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

The US uses 110 60hz we use 220 50hz (though it usually seems to be 230) anyway, you can buy a convertor very cheapy that will et you plug your 110 appliance in here. But since the iRiver uses standard NIMH rechargeable AA's you could just stick them in a battery charger if you have one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Originally posted by sirlinux
    you can buy a convertor very cheapy that will et you plug your 110 appliance in here.

That's what I thought but also heard that while its fine to bring electrical stuff over there its not ok the bring american stuff back since the higher voltage can damage the equipment while everything here just works (charges) slower on the lower 110 voltage.

Originally posted by sirlinux
    But since the iRiver uses standard NIMH rechargeable AA's you could just stick them in a battery charger if you have one!!

As long as the batteries that you buy here would work (I'd assume they are all 1.5 V internationally) then this would be ok but would mean I couldn't use the inbuilt charger and the adapter would be no use. Seems a waste but for the price difference its hard to turn down.

On a separate note the UK and US price difference is ridiculous. Why should we have to pay so much more for consumer electronics (and much more for that matter)?

:mad:

US Price €85

UK Price €195

Advertisement