Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Anti-Corruption regulations and Ireland

Options
  • 03-06-2003 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Just found this
    excellent article on an new EU wide policy on Corruption..
    .The interesting point is the only EU member not to have signed up already is Ireland and the OECD recommandations have been out since 1999...

Why has such a country as Ireland not signed up already???
    No, we prefare to spent good tax payers money on tribunals that solve nothing. The proposal made by teh EU commission is an ambitious one :). The Eu would have teh power to presue those in member states governments who are suspected of being Corrupt....
    Why hasn't the Irish Media not printed this yet is beyond me??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Well jesus just look at all the tribunal's we've been having, which are been given the axe because they're going to cost the taxpayer a suspected half a billion euro. Ireland has always been far more backward than most E.U. countries and as such started their corrupt way's a lot later than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Chaos,
    Hang on a second - you're wondering why the Irish government haven't ratified a treaty that would allow them to be investigated for corruption by an external agency that they couldn't influence?

What, have you never lived in Ireland before? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Originally posted by Sparks
    Chaos,
    Hang on a second - you're wondering why the Irish government haven't ratified a treaty that would allow them to be investigated for corruption by an external agency that they couldn't influence?

What, have you never lived in Ireland before? :)

I must admit i never pay much attention to the tribunals but of late i have tried as most the councillors our in my locality(FF heartland - Dublin South) and siting on the Dun Laorghaire/Rathdown council... Just strange how the irish media has highlighted this EU proposal. I think it is in the media's interest not to have a truely independent tribunal and that worries me :(

Advertisement