Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOFFL to make presentation to Dáil sub committee on communications.

Options
  • 03-06-2003 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

IrelandOffline will be making a presentation to the Dáil's joint committee on communications headed up by Deputy Noel O'Flynn, this Wednesday the 4th of June at 2:30pm.

As with previous hearings, a transcript of the hearing will be made available on line, and when it is I'll stick it up here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

I see there is a Green Party member on the committee. Have they made any statements about wireless? I could imagine they might not like it. (I could say the same about SF.)

What's the format? Presentation by you followed by question and answer session?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

What's the format? Presentation by you followed by question and answer session?

Yes. 10 minute presentation followed by a twenty minute question and answer session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

Good luck! :D

do they have any power to do anything or are they just another commitee that "advises" the gorvnment to do something but are just there so that the govrnment can say that they had a committee working on it instead of actually doing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ooh nice. Tell it like it is lads :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

A very significant development, amounting to official government recognition of the important work and media influence of IOFFL and its achievements too date.

Perhaps, the government might consider offering IOFFL a considerable grant to aid their socially and economically vital voluntary work in the telecommunications Internet access sector which has benefitted many who are not as yet!, even aware of the existance of IOFFL.

This of course being primarily due too the medias lack of campaigning journalists, and those Editors who are prepared too allow the truth to be put before the people.

Good luck Dangger.

Paddy20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Best of luck Dave,

Myself and Christian are attending. Christian will be giving the presentation and we will bth be taking part in the question and answer session that follows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted by Dangger
    Christian will be giving the presentation

:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Go geddum tiger.

*Rattling the rosarys beads*

Best o luck to Chris too ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Good luck guys

/slides in best wishes just before leaving time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

ohhhh ... *rubs hands* ... I cant wait to see that transcript ....

The presentation document is availble here,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Dangger
    The presentation document is availble here,

Certainly looks like you guys did you homework - lets hope the audience proves deserving of all your efforts.

Well done to Dave, Christian and Mike for their hard work on this and best of luck when your in there on your hind legs.

Excellant document ....
    most satisfying read in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Well done lads :)

Good presentation document there! Fingers crossed the audience is receptive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

-- Moderated by MDR --

Sorry echomadman;

can't allow this type of thing on the Policy board,
    it was little bit OTT.

Sorry about the pic, but my comments of praise still stand.

Keep it up lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Excellent document. Very concise and has a good flow to it. I'm dying to know how the presentation went. It should be over now?

How did the committee respond?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭shinzon

Hope after that little lot theyll actually listen and start implementing some of the said proposals, its a ridiculous situation were in

Wireless is the only way to go if it is that prohibitively expensive to replace the existing copper wiring..

afaik my friend who passed his eircom test lives on an estate that was built in 1959, i live on an estate that was built in the 1970's

I guess the dont make wiring like they used to lol

Regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Really top report lads.

Hope it goes down well seeing as its the people that really matter that will be seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

How'd it go?

Questions? Receptive? Hostile? Dumb Asses?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Christian and Dave did a very good job. All the committee members who spoke had good things to say about IOFFL and a large number of questions were asked. They really are looking at building or promoting a new alternative broadband infrastructure for Ireland. I'm looking forward to the transcript.

IrishWAN also had an opportunity to present to the sub-Committee, checkout the details at http://www.irishwan.org/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1038.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Investment to fuel internet take-up.
    Irish Times, Friday 6 June

Investment in broadband will fuel domestic take-up, an Oireachtas committee
    has heard.

Public demand for high-speed internet access must be stimulated, if
    necessary by Government, representatives of industry and user groups -
    including Microsoft, HP, ICT Ireland and Dublin Development Board - told the
    IT subcommittee of the Joint Committee on Communications, Marine and Natural
    Resources. Telecom providers will be called before teh committee next
    month.

:rolleyes:

I've written to the Times ointing out that IrelandOffline were one of the community groups and we certianly did not call out for money to stimulate demand in Internet take-up. We argued that that demand is already there at our hearing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

In that case, I'm assuming other speakers DID indicate that money was needed to fuel interest in BB? Which speakers? Did anyone question them on why they think money is needed? Did anyone point out to them that they haven't a bulls arse notion what they're talking about?

Advertisement