Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reptile keepers, need help...

Options
  • 03-06-2003 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

Reptile keepers,
    I need a full spectrum screw-in type bulb, I can afford maybe €6-7 ...... dosent need to be new, just an interim measure till I get a proper lighting set-up.
    Ive taken in 3 huge turtles (Yep, red eared sliders)...... and the bulb blew.

plz plz if anyone can sell me one or loan me one, plz say :)

Much obliged

B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I wish I could help you, full spectrum bulbs I assum you mean UV? The only ones I know of are around €150 or do you just need a 60w spot bulb? you should be able to pick them up from any store for a few quid.

Do you rescue Herps? If you do & you sometimes have no room or are looking to home some rescued animals I would like to help. I am in the process of opening my own pet farm & have loads of room. Just let me know if I can help at all.

Kind Regards

Faye

(I am trying to restrain my ! marks, not easy. I'm not shouting at anyone just rather over excitable!;) )

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dont know where you`re located Dawn Treader but Maplins have UV bulbs in stock.
    I could probably pick one up for you if you wanted as Im close enough to Blanchardstown.Im not sure of the fitting type.But if you are really badly stuck you could make something up.
    Richie.

Hey man , if you go to reptile haven they have them there . YOu looking at 60 quid tho .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by Dre as in Dray
    Hey man , if you go to reptile haven they have them there . YOu looking at 60 quid tho .

As a matter of fact Ive to go into Reptile Haven(for spider food)tomorrow.Could pick you up one there.
    Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Guys n gals :)

Thnx so much for all the offers, u really r a gr8 bunch :)
    Today, I spoke to an electrician uncle of mine who said hes gonna build me a lighting system for over this tank (Damned thing is HUGE, 4foot long x 2.5foot wide!).... so im gonna have to wait to see what that works with :) but thnx for the info. is truly MUCH appreciated.

Spoke to a really nice guy called thomas last nite from reptile haven, said he might be able to hook me up with an old starter light, but if not, they will last the few days it will take for the lighting system without a problem (other places had tried to scare me into buying their stuff.... luckilly i never go on the word of one store lol ).

Fayse, I take in most any kind of animal, but I am most at home with herps, see, I kept and studied so many reptiles for so long, that every few months I end up getting phone calls saying *i cant look after this, help!* an I will never leave any animal in the care of somone who cant look after him / her properly :) I have taken in everything from garter snakes, rat snakes, even a fully grown adult boa! to hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice, bats, owls, crows, kittens, pups, guinea pigs, geckos, newts,....... my house looks like a zoo even during a quiet month lol ;)

If you are interested tho' I have 3 large red eared sliders, by large I mean, 1 is the diameter allmost of a dinner place, the other is the diameter of a large cereal bowl.
    They would need a (heated) tank or enclosure measuring 4foot by 2 foot to be relatively comfortable, with a dry platform for drying out and a good lighting system.
    If ur interested let me know an i will pm u my phone number.
    Also,

Being realistic, I am willing to let 2 of them go to good homes *IF* somone has the right kind of housing, the right equipment and the right knowledge to look after them well :) I will only charge €40 (negotiable) for them because thats how much they have cost me since I took them in, also TBH, because if somone cannot afford that then they wont be able to afford to look after them properly.

Fayse, if u DO set up an animal rescue place, if u want me, I would love to be involved in some way if possible, I have a LOT of experience with all sorts of animals, captive and wild, and a lot of time on my hands right now. :)

Again, many thnx for the offers :)

Barry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Hi Barry,

I would be very interested in the sliders! I will need a few weeks just to do some more research & to get my dad started on tank building.

I also take in other animals, I got 1 ig given to me, have taken in a heap of dogs & cats been given rats & my friend Hadook & I just got 35 guineapigs! fun.

I have
    dogs
    cats
    rats
    nile rats
    jirds
    gerbils
    ferrets
    mice
    zebra mice
    steppe lemmings
    russian hamsters
    syrian hamsters
    chinese hamsters
    roborovski hamsters
    guineapigs
    rabbits
    long eared desert hedgehogs
    chinchillas
    sugar gliders (the best pets ever!)
    budgies
    love birds
    austrailian king parrots
    red rump parakeets
    Crimson rosella parakeets
    ring neck parakeets
    chickens
    geese
    Monitor lizard
    Bearded dragons
    Iguanas

I have probobly forgotten some of the species I have! we have approx 211 animals at the moment! the house is crazy but fun!

Faye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nicoline

hi barry and others...
    I'm doing a radio piece on people with unusual pets, particularly reptiles and I'd be really interested in speaking to you or to anyone else who does this.
    I'd be really grateful if you could get back to me and let me know if you would be interested in talking to me.

thanks a million
    Nicoline
    Falkorre wrote:
    Guys n gals :)

Thnx so much for all the offers, u really r a gr8 bunch :)
    Today, I spoke to an electrician uncle of mine who said hes gonna build me a lighting system for over this tank (Damned thing is HUGE, 4foot long x 2.5foot wide!).... so im gonna have to wait to see what that works with :) but thnx for the info. is truly MUCH appreciated.

Spoke to a really nice guy called thomas last nite from reptile haven, said he might be able to hook me up with an old starter light, but if not, they will last the few days it will take for the lighting system without a problem (other places had tried to scare me into buying their stuff.... luckilly i never go on the word of one store lol ).

Fayse, I take in most any kind of animal, but I am most at home with herps, see, I kept and studied so many reptiles for so long, that every few months I end up getting phone calls saying *i cant look after this, help!* an I will never leave any animal in the care of somone who cant look after him / her properly :) I have taken in everything from garter snakes, rat snakes, even a fully grown adult boa! to hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice, bats, owls, crows, kittens, pups, guinea pigs, geckos, newts,....... my house looks like a zoo even during a quiet month lol ;)

If you are interested tho' I have 3 large red eared sliders, by large I mean, 1 is the diameter allmost of a dinner place, the other is the diameter of a large cereal bowl.
    They would need a (heated) tank or enclosure measuring 4foot by 2 foot to be relatively comfortable, with a dry platform for drying out and a good lighting system.
    If ur interested let me know an i will pm u my phone number.
    Also,

Being realistic, I am willing to let 2 of them go to good homes *IF* somone has the right kind of housing, the right equipment and the right knowledge to look after them well :) I will only charge €40 (negotiable) for them because thats how much they have cost me since I took them in, also TBH, because if somone cannot afford that then they wont be able to afford to look after them properly.

Fayse, if u DO set up an animal rescue place, if u want me, I would love to be involved in some way if possible, I have a LOT of experience with all sorts of animals, captive and wild, and a lot of time on my hands right now. :)

Again, many thnx for the offers :)

Barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nicoline you can email me on perfectpets@eircom.net if you want more info?? I have 3 corn snakes, 2 iguanas, 1 bosc monitor lizard, 3 bearded dragons, 1 berbera skink, 1 common boa & 1 russian horsefield tortoise. Among my many other exotic critters including skunks & sugar gliders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nicoline

great stuff... cheers... have sent email... hope to hear from you soon...
    nic

Advertisement