Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phpBB2 and MySQL server locked?

Options
  • 03-06-2003 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Does phpBB2 lock the MySQL database for update and delete by other programs?

How do I switch this off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

I can't think how it would.
    What is the problem you are having exactly?

R

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It says on the HSphere panel that the dbase is locked by PHPBB2.

When I go to edit a news story and run 'mysql_affected_rows()' or whatever the php function is it returns -1.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This may be of use to you:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/LOCK_TABLES.html

I don't think PHPBB can exclusively lock tables forever, only while the threads are being executed(i.e a thread is when a user is posting/changing their options etc etc). Afaik, if you ask the Server to lock the tables in your own (i.e. non-phpBB) queries, then your process/query is placed in a queue, and receives the lock when the phpBB process releases it. Then you can do your own operations on the Tables

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Ah yes, Multi User environment and all that. Maybe I should get out of bed for database systems more often.

I didn't know what the hell it was talking about, but your post reminded me of stuff I studied about 2 weeks ago, just shows that cramming doesn't really work :) . Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

I have a suspicion that the lock that HSphere refers to is just from it's point of view. PHPBB2 was installed via the control panel rather than manually right?
    ie: it prevents you going in and manually mucking around with that database.

I don't know a huge amount about HSphere, but it is possible that creates it a system database user that has access to the tables only?

• Advertisement
Advertisement