Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XML Site quick question

Options
  • 03-06-2003 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

ok, im fairly deceant at XML and HTML and other lang's

I have a quick question

If i make an XML site, using XSL to transform the XML pages into Browser friendly HTML, what do i link to??

I mean, would my first page be index.xml or index.html

i almost certain it would be .xml, as the html has to be generated by the XSL.

really its just a nagging little thing, but if im going to do it, it may as well be done right

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

are you using Server-side or client side scripting?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

server side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Well now I'm lost - if you are parsing it server side its just gonna come out as html anyway, if not you are parsing the xml using xsl client side.

if its a website there is no point in just sending XML to the browser because it will just look like ....... xml.... for later browsers, and will just be a downloadable file for people with older browsers.

If I was you I would go back to the start and ask why you want to do a site in XML.

For example if you are transferring data between sites - the best bet is to do a script where it checks for agent type - if the agent type is a browser send down the parsed XML, if its not a browser or a wap browser say, send it as XML, or WML - whatever you want each interface to see.

In any case you can still call it php or asp. If you want to use .XML you will have to setup your server to understand what to do when it receives a request for this file type (or setup mime types) - this will be a different process for different platforms...

does that make sense? tried to make it as easy as possible to understand!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

You'd be linking to index.jsp or index.php or index.asp or something else depending on which server side language your using to transform the XML.

Unless of course you have a batch script that transforms all your XML files into HTML files once a day, in which case you'd be linking to index.html

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

tanx lads, looks like its back to the drawing board. I thought i could just provide the browser with the XSL sheet location, and that would transform it into HTML for me. Nuts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement