Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pop ups

Options
  • 03-06-2003 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

ok. i have a problem. no, not that sort, a problem with pop up advertisement.

the problem is i keep getting pop ups from this address
    http://www.clickspring.net/cs/cancer/
    and it often tells me about script problems and would i like to contiunue running them.

now, the thing is, that these are random, and they get past my pop up stopper app.

very annoying when your game keeps quiting back to desktop because a pop up has arrived.

now the problem is that i cant figure out where they are coming from. im sure i have something installed that is popping them up, but i dont know what it is.
    there is nothing in the add/remove programs list. how do i get rid????????

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I suspect that you have some sort of spyware installed on your system and that this is opening new browser windows (which possibly explains how it is bypassing your pop up stopper app.
    Try AdAware from www.lavasoftusa.com and see if it works.
    Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

beautiful :)

you have just put into a simple sentence that which i couldnt do in a paragraph!

yes!
    spyware.
    but i cant see it installed.

its not a case of stopping the pop ups, i want to kill the app to.
    i know it may be in one of my other piece of software, the way gator is in kazza, so how do i find out what application its sneaking around in?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Without knowing which app is causing it you would need to un-install each app manually to figure it out for yourself.
    AdAware should give you a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

if AdAware doesnt clean it up. try the old msconfig and check out the startup options. if you see anything unusual in there uncheck it and you should be ok.

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

If you go to c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (or the equivilant) and add the line:
    127.0.0.1 [url]www.clickspring.net[/url]

windows will not do a dns lookup or load any of the pop-up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement