Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap city Center Parking

Options
  • 03-06-2003 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Wheres the cheapest parking around the city center (dublin) these days? Place I was in today was charging €2.50-3.00 per hour for over 4 hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

free all day if u work for Peats, but unfortunatly there moving accross parnell street in a couple of weeks so the free car parking is going too after years of not paying:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

There was actually a street in the city centre for years which you could park on for free and nobody really knew about it. Coming from the southside take a left at O'Connell bridge and then your second left into temple bar. Then take your first left which brings you to the back of buskers/boomerang.

There is now builders hoarding covering half of the street but before that was there, you could park their all day and night. No yellow lines, no clearaway, no "no parking" signs. It was a street with no signs on it, right in the middle of town!!. I parked there nearly all the time while visiting a friend in the dublin 1 area and never so much as a bat of an eyelid off a clamper/Garda.

Im sure there must be other streets in dublin with no signz/yellow lines/restrictions that the corporation has forgotton about.

Chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Can't see myself working in Peats anytime soon. As for unmarked streets. There used to be one of Dawson street until a year or so ago. Decked out in yellow lines now though.

Does no one park in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

If your on the southside it can be handy to park just outside of town and walk the rest of the way.
    Used to live on Clanbrassil St and there are a few places there that have free on street parking and its only a 10 minute walk to St Stephens Green.

Originally posted by mbroaders
    If your on the southside it can be handy to park just outside of town and walk the rest of the way.
    Used to live on Clanbrassil St and there are a few places there that have free on street parking and its only a 10 minute walk to St Stephens Green.

Thats not a bad idea at all. I thought most of that was residential and disc parking though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Originally posted by Stekelly
    free all day if u work for Peats

Wow, thanks! That is sooooo helpful. That's solved everyone query with one answer. Excellent.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith

I park in the Ilac centre for Northside, and Brown Thomas if I'm going to the Southside.
    There's no way around paying the parking fees anymore. :mad:

So are they all the same price or are some of them CHEAPER than others? Which was my question!

Why don't you just park in a pay and display area- without paying; get a ticket; and then wait a few minutes for a someone to come back to their car on the same street, and ask them for their still valid ticket. Then you can say you had a valid stub (which you do) and they have to let you off with the fine. I did it once; it wasn't planned, but it worked.
    What can they say? Nothing. They gave you a ticket and you have a valid stub for the same street and the same time- and the warden might even get into trouble. Everybody wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I avoid it like the plague. Its not because I dont want to pay, its just too congested, too much hastle getting in and out. If I have to shop, its Blanchardstown for me. Yes, it can get congested there too, but its free.

Unlike Belfast this morning. Around £1 per hour, motorway nearly all the way to the Castlecourt car park. How more central can you get?

• Advertisement

I have to work in there for a few weeks. I tried the train last week but its dangerously overcrowed all the time, and its never on time. I hate buses with a passion since I used them for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by herbie747
    Why don't you just park in a pay and display area- without paying; get a ticket; and then wait a few minutes for a someone to come back to their car on the same street,

might try that the next time I'm clamped, but the clampers take photos of the car when their clamping it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by ando
    might try that the next time I'm clamped, but the clampers take photos of the car when their clamping it
    Just tell them that you left the stub on the dashboard and when you came back it seemes to had blown onto the floor! Apparently, it is a common occurence whereby a draught comes in through the air vents and then helps you get free parking!

Originally posted by ando

I probably wouldn't bother if I got clamped- because they do take photos. Give it a shot if you just get a ticket though. It's foolproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Thats not a bad idea at all. I thought most of that was residential and disc parking though.

They started to make some of the streets Paid parking but most of the streets around the Blackpits are free to park on. There are a fair few cars who do it (Of course i would always curse them because i lived around there at the time and would be looking for a place to park for myself but i dont live there anymore :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ricardo, if you are self employed ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99498 ), you can write off your expenses. Alternatively, get the bus / train if you don't really need the car.

AFAIK you can only write off your second journey. The one from work to another job. Not the one from your home to your place of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AFAIK you can only write off your second journey. The one from work to another job. Not the one from your home to your place of work.
    If you are a contractor and have no 'normal' place of work, you can write off all the expense.

Originally posted by Victor
    If you are a contractor and have no 'normal' place of work, you can write off all the expense.

Umm thats not what I was told. I'll have to re- check that out.

Advertisement