Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ME internet freezing problem

• 03-06-2003 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭

At some point(maybe a few minutes or an hour or so) while im connected to the internet the computer will just freeze solid.

this is really bugging me i cant figure out why this happens, there are no other internet applications running or any other applications for that matter.
    It only seems to have started happening when i installed a new graphics card.

im running windows me, i installed all the drivers for the card etc and it works perfect.

if anyone has any ideas id appreciate some help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

make sure u got the latest and correct drivers for your gfx
    if it's an nvidia get version 43.45 9mb off their site if it's an ATI get catalyst ones from their site (can't remeber which ones the latest) see if that helps?

if doesn't try windows update might do the trick

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Try getting a system logger so you can look back after reboot and see what happened. Sometimes they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

thanks for your suggestions, im pretty sure my nvidia driver is seriously old so ill take a look. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

Chad ghostal do urself a favour and ditch Windows ME for XP
    I ran ME on my machine for two months of complete hell almost got to the stage where i almost dumped me poor auld graphics card which was not to fault at all.Everything runs smoothly now on XP not one crash in 4 months(well besides the occansional crash due to overclocking!:mad: )
    I think ME was the most rushed ,unstable piece of software Microsoft has ever put together,XP is miles ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Ill second that XP suggestion! ME sucks ass. XP rocks! first OS that has never crashed on me! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 trunks

I had a similar problem to this on win ME but it was not caused by the video card but by Norton firewall,

but is would happen strait away on connecting to the internet so I do not know :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Windows ME is the spawn of the devil! I had it for under a week before going back to Win 98SE. But the 2K/XP kernel is an absolute joy compared to the older versions. You need to get yourself a copy quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

ME is a scummy operating system but at the moment i have no choice.. itll have to stay for at least the summer..

i might just try linux..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

I second everyone dissing ME.

It ****en sucks. I thought it was my hardware why my pc was constantly crashing on the net(freezes galore) and when i had too many windows open but no...its ME. 98 is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than ME but Xp beats all of em hands down. I have not had a single crash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

get rid of your ME maybe get a copy of somebody upgrade to XP.:)

• Advertisement

Chad if ur thinking about linux be well prepared,its not for the faint hearted-- that said most new hardware now have linux drivers available.Maybe partition Ur drive into two and put XP on 1 and linux on the other?Either way get rid of ME ,ASAP!!,
    Then HAPPY DAYS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

oh my god.. i didn't think that there was anymore ME users out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have to agree with all the above comments... ME IS RUBBISH!!!!!!!

How ever did microsoft ever get away with releasing that piece of ****e... it crashes more often than takimo sato did!!!

definitely XP Pro is the way to go... seen a new version of LONGHORN!!!! it looks pretty damn cool!!!!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

LONGHORN - Did they actually think abut that name? come on ppl

Definately diss ME. Its absolute pants. Running two machines with XP pro. Its an absolute dream. Built me own PC. Installed XP and it found everything and installed it without need of CD's or floppys. Beautiful :)

"it crashes more often than takimo sato did!!!":D
    I like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 trunks

that blue screen gives a certain magical glow

LONGHORN - Did they actually think abut that name? come on ppl

That's just the project codename. They name them after Canadian mountains, XP was codenamed Whistler. Most companies come up with great project names and then give them crappy release names (clawhammer became Athlon 64), but Microsoft just stick with crappy names all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

ya but come on LONG....HORN huh huh, get it

Jeses im sad :(

Yeah, they're also a type of cattle if that's what you ment ;)

Advertisement