Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irismagazine.net #3

Options
  • 03-06-2003 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭

irismagazine.net #3
    thursday 12th june
    temple bar music center

main room
    polar
    fresno
    neosupervital
    the things
    holy ghost fathers

side room
    louise byrne
    peco
    myles blo.tooth
    the guggenheim grotto

bar and main room later
    the five minutes
    james lonergan
    paddy fagan

outside
    fire [poi] artists

admission - 7 euro / 5 euro students
    doors - 8pm to 2.30am

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nonemoreblack

I likes the sound of this esp. Polar and Neosupervital.

Do you have any running times?

Or is it the usual hush-hush..just come along and see the whole lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 redpixie

hey spoiltbrat sounds cool whats the deal with iris? is it a website or what? does it hold events like this often?
    ill defo go!
    xx:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

Originally posted by nonemoreblack

Or is it the usual hush-hush..just come along and see the whole lot?

Yeah its 'the usual' - the concept of the gig doesn't work if people just turn up to see the bands they know... what is everybody afraid of anyway - hearing some good music they haven't heard before?

There isn't one dud band on the line-up so I think being there for the whole show isn't going to dissapoint anyone - quite the opposite I think!

Thanks.

Originally posted by redpixie
    hey spoiltbrat sounds cool whats the deal with iris? is it a website or what? does it hold events like this often?
    ill defo go!
    xx:ninja:

Check out www.irismagazine.net to see what we're about.

Basically the gigs are run whenever a decent date comes up that I think theres a chance we might we might make back the money we spend on the gig - generally once every 2 months/never.

So far we've had-

Berkeley, the 66 electric, Polar, Speedman, Doug Sheridan, The Beautiful Losers, Dry County, Mumblin' Deaf Ro, Michael Knight, The CrayonZ, The Maladies, Louise Byrne, Tadhg Cooke, NeoSupervital, Marie Keane, Elton (Brando) Mullally, Outrhythm, Tag, Derrick Devine, Element, Ed Hurrell.... I think thats everyone!

The concept is that its like a mini-festival. We have fire [poi] artists outside as people are coming in and then inside the TBMC is split into 3 areas - Main Room for the louder acts with full visuals, Side Room for the more intimate acts and the The Bar for DJs. I think by making the night relatively cheap (7/5 euro) it helps to get numbers in and makes the atmosphere a lot better than smaller gigs.

The website features reviews, interviews and features on Irish music.

I thinks thats all for now - any more questions I'll answer below or at event@irismagazine.net

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Damon_Kind

Right, these are seriously good nights. There is so much going on that entertaiment is not a possibility, it is inevitable.

• Advertisement

Quick note - Fairuza just added to main room line-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nonemoreblack

Is that the band with the singer that looks and sounds like Jeff Buckley?

....One of my female friends told me that ..honest.

Are they any good?Saw a review in Hotpress and it was a bit iffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Rodriguez

I do really like I.R.I.S greatway to find new music, God talkin soul, Jessica insane, T.B.L and so on..........!

But dont know about Fairuza? are they as good as everybody says they are?

Dont know about those dreaded Buckley vocals though,

None the least ill be down on the night lovin it.

I think the thing with Fairuza is they're trying to do something that is quite difficult to pull off - falsettos and power-chords aren't everyones cup of tea - but I think they're making a really good stab at it. Anyone I've met who was at last gig only had good things to say about them. I think the last newbie-a-thon on the board re that gig was a bit annoying and put some people off them but I know myself thats its sh1t hard to promote gigs around here so....
    In short, they rock good and they'll give you that extra bit of value for your 5/7 euro.... if you think you need it!
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Rodriguez

Actually, im really looking forward to seeing them. I havent heard any of there stuff yet so it should be cool, alot of people seem to have mixed opinons on them.

To many haters me thinks:cool:

• Advertisement

They're playing Tower Records tomorrow at 1pm so you can make up your mind for defo then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 no name

Saw them yesterday in Tower
    They're really great and i don't really see the whole jb thing
    looking foward to seeing them on thurs
    when will theybe on?
    doors open when?

Originally posted by no name
    Saw them yesterday in Tower
    They're really great and i don't really see the whole jb thing
    looking foward to seeing them on thurs
    when will theybe on?
    doors open when?

Emmm... not giving out any times... it ain't fare on no-one except those playing later... if that means anything.

Doors are 8pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭renagade*

I alos saw Fairuza in towe the other day I think they are really ****ing good, original arragements with really savage guitar riffs. I dont think teh guy looks like Jeff buckley at all I do however think theres a bit of a Brian Moloko thing goin on but maybe thats just cause he was wearing eye gup stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

this is gonna be a great night... the iris gigs are always good fun

is neosupervital drumming for bellx1 of late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Will definitely be there, can't wait!!
    And for those of you that heard Fairuza sound like Jeff Buckley, they don't!!! And Kryz doesn't look like him either, or Brian Molko for that matter!!
    Will be an excellent night with all those great acts!!:D
    :Dall all

Glad to hear you're all getting excited about it, everything is falling nicely into place.
    We've got really good visuals sorted out aswell so its not going to be just the usual odd flicker of the lights - the whole place is going to look (as well as sound) sweet.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭madouva

Here Spoilt?
    Any notions of DJ times??
    When can we crack open the vino in preparation on Thursday? You do know what you've gotten yourself in for, don't you?

Oh yeah, hup!

Originally posted by madouva
    Here Spoilt?
    Any notions of DJ times??
    When can we crack open the vino in preparation on Thursday? You do know what you've gotten yourself in for, don't you?

I reckon I'm tucking into the vino already for the nerves in preparation for Thursday.

I guess I've picked the wrong week to give up drinking!

DJ times? Whatever you want - I'll do the first stint in the bar, James the second and then its free-range.. like all the best eggs/gigs.

Maybe a backstage fish-off would be appropriate on the night?

The Five Minutes vs. Paddy and James
    Polar vs. Holy Ghost Fathers
    Fresno vs. Fairuza (for the right to have a short name beginning with 'F')
    etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭madouva

Good stuff Sir. I'll bring my platinum rod.

Going to ROCK!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tiggertigger

neosupervital drummed at the turn album launch for bellx1
    not sure if it's a permanent thing or not

Originally posted by madouva
    Good stuff Sir. I'll bring my platinum rod.

I'll be fashioning a new inanimate carbon rod.

Advertisement