Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Problems

• 03-06-2003 11:45pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

I have two problems as the subject suggests.
    First a modem that when dialling up to connect to the net, gets as far as connecting to server and then disconnects. I viewed the log and it shows a bit of information being sent and revieved before the modem disconnects. Does not appear to be a server problem cause I tried a few different providers and all the same. Checked the settings and made sure that PPP was used. Any help?
    Dell Machine
    No modem name just a pile of numbers and letters, even when reinstalling it just gives a pile of numbers and letters as the name. The dell driver CD refers to it by that name. Uses some sort of connex emulator though.

Second is a display that had its drivers uninstalled, reinstall the correct drivers but when you restart it says they are the wrong ones and puts me back to 256 colours. Any Help?
    Machine is a philips Duron. Cant Remember all the specs.

All help greatly appricated. Thanks Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The winmodem in the Dell is most likely a Connexant HCF. Google for the drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well tom if yar around tell me when your comming over and ill get ya a modem dump the old one.

as for the other pc its onboard graphics ? any model numbers or large chips saying anything intresting ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

re: modem, have you any personal firewall software installed on the pc, like zone alarm or somthin like that, a mate of mine got almost the very same problem, after changing the settings on the firewall sw it was fine... hope it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Follow this to get the exact details of your graphics card.

The following debug routine will list the type of video card within your computer. This is an excellent way of determining the chipset on the card or the card within your computer without opening the computer.

At the C:\> type debug

-d c000:0040

If you are unable to capture any information which sounds like the video card you can also type

-d c000:0090

The above line will give you a dump similar to the above example however may have additional information about the video card.

I hope this helps.

Cal

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

The two problems are in two different machines, nither of which are mine.
    I have the drivers for the modem and have reinstalled and there is no personal firewall software. Nothing has really changed on the machine since the modem was workin, it's an office machine and is only used for drawing and invocing so there is nobody really fideling with it.

I have the correct drivers for the display as I installed them before for the guy, I have the manufacturers CD and it has the same drivers that I installed.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I replaced the modem with a brand new one and it still had the same problem. I used hyperterminal to connect to the oceanfree server and it managed to do so. It must be a problem womewhere within windows. The modem is able to make voice calls no problem, so it cant be a phone line problem.

Advertisement