Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is VDSL??

Options
  • 04-06-2003 5:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

I saw VDSL metioned in the IOFFL forum and I think I have read elsewhere too.

It also seems to ve reffered to as something great.

Does anyone know what it is?:o :confused::confused::D:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/134

I think Eircom trialled that at one stage, someone who posts on boards had it (conZ as far as I can remember).

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Very high speed DSL, but over a short distance. 20 - 50 Mbits over 1km. Being touted these days as a mechanism for doing ethernet over the last mile (or km). Used to be, as mentioned, touted for doing 3 tv channels (6meg each) plus internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

VDSL

Taken from How Stuff Works

very high bit-rate DSL (VDSL) is seen by many as the next step in providing a complete home-communications/entertainment package. There are already some companies, such as U.S. West (part of Qwest now), that offer VDSL service in selected areas. VDSL provides an incredible amount of bandwidth, with speeds up to about 52 megabits per second (Mbps). Compare that with a maximum speed of 8 to 10 Mbps for ADSL or cable modem and it's clear that the move from current broadband technology to VDSL could be as significant as the migration from a 56K modem to broadband. As VDSL becomes more common, you can expect that integrated packages will be cheaper than the total amount for current separate services.

Qwest have stopped any further roll out and may not even be maintaining their current small vdsl service. They get their equipment from Next Level Communications, who are in the topsey turvy world of 'restructuring'. They have the full blown system of 3 tv channels plus internet access, from a nice set-top box. I believe they had some of the gear in Ennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Thanks for all your answers.

I suppose it is going to be about 30 years before this lovely service is widely available and affordable in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Yep, I had it in Ennis... and it sucked. Im only ~100metres away from the exchange and I was getting 80 ping in game, download rates varied from 3k to 37k (highest on KaZaA was about 47k).

I got it through Eircom, so the ping was normal I suppose.

My modem was from Next Level (still have the box :) ) which looked like a TV cable box alright (it had 'channel up' etc on it), but nothing was said to us about it :)

VDSL, in my experience, is comparable to Eircom's ADSL - same d/l rates, pings etc.

...It only sounds good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Erm isn't it only VDSL when you reach 52mbs/sec? Sounds to me like you only had normal dsl and Eircom used their usual misadvertisement on it.

Originally posted by Sloth
    Erm isn't it only VDSL when you reach 52mbs/sec? Sounds to me like you only had normal dsl and Eircom used their usual misadvertisement on it.

It was VDSL. The extra bandwidth is used for things like video on demand afaik.

Well could you just turn off all that video stuff and give all the bandwidth to the pc? If not I'm not moving to the artic circle anymore.

Well could you just turn off all that video stuff and give all the bandwidth to the pc? If not I'm not moving to the artic circle anymore.

I think the whole idea behind the extra bandwidth is for video on demand and all that stuff.

• Advertisement

Hell no, I have a TV for that....
    If VDSL ever became available to me I'd only get it if I could route alll 52mbs to the pc.

Hell no, I have a TV for that....
    If VDSL ever became available to me I'd only get it if I could route alll 52mbs to the pc.

You'd probably need to sell an organ to pay for it, no matter what country you're in, that sort of connection is going to cost.

Don't they get it pretty much for free in the artic circle?

Don't they get it pretty much for free in the artic circle?

The governments would pay for it no doubt. The scientists that live there wouldn't.

Joy, someone help me pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Kiss your toes, fingers, lips, cheeks and your nose goodbye, say hello to frostbite!

Yes but it'd be sooo worth it.

I can see about half of Ireland joining you there Sloth.lol.
    Its the best chance most people have of getting BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    You'd probably need to sell an organ to pay for it, no matter what country you're in, that sort of connection is going to cost.

26mb VDSL will be 40 euros a month in Sweden.

OH good god im getting out of here Im off to Sweden.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by melachi
    26mb VDSL will be 40 euros a month in Sweden.

How much of that is going to be either directly or indirectly subsidised by tax money?

Im in a dreamland at the moment dont spoil it for me.:p

Ah the misconceptions about the cost of broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

I have an amazingly fast broadband connection at home, very low latency, installation cost was about EU50, no monthly charge, no cap.

Unfortunately, the reach is only about 100M...

from what ive seen the netsource pings are awful, lately anyway they were my target but not sure now when at its best its 50ms pings to england

Gah, look at the type of pings you can get with Nildram in England :(

ping.jpg

thats really not fair.

Does anyone think there is any possibility Nildram will float across the Irish sea to offer us good BB?

Advertisement