Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Learn

• 04-06-2003 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi,

I used to do a lot of snorkelling a long time ago (10 years)
    I am no living in Dublin and would love to start to learn to dive again.

So I have 2 questions

1. Can anyone recommend a CFT club?
    2. what time of the year do lectures start

Thanks for your help

ß

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cromwelly

The CFT web site http://www.scubaireland.com/ has a section listing clubs.
    I'm guessing most would recruit around September in time to have trainees diving at the start of the new season in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

Depends on if you wanna be lazy or not.

If you join in September you will spend until December just snorkeling in the pool. And then in January you will go & do your "official" snorkel training followed by the scuba training.

But if you join in January you will go straight into training.

A few guys that joined my club this year were getting really p1ssed with the amount of snorkel training they had to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Cromwelly

There's no guarantee that a CFT club would accept you in Jan.
    Depends when they start their lectures. It's probably best to go the clubs open evenings.

I think it's a good idea to start the snorkeling early, it tends to thin out the numbers down to those who are serious about the sport rather than those who *think* they are.

Personally I think that snorkeling in Ireland is for the most part horrible and pointless, other than as a part of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

Originally posted by Cromwelly
    There's no guarantee that a CFT club would accept you in Jan.
    Depends when they start their lectures. It's probably best to go the clubs open evenings.

I think it's a good idea to start the snorkeling early, it tends to thin out the numbers down to those who are serious about the sport rather than those who *think* they are.

Personally I think that snorkeling in Ireland is for the most part horrible and pointless, other than as a part of training.

Most clubs will let you join in Jan, but yes it is down to the individual club. They usually start lectures in February or so.
    All the people who started in my club this year in September were REALLY p!ssed off by March. A few even talked about quitting and going to PADI. Whereas the people who started in Jan thought it was great!

But they are all serious about it and are still with us. Some just had it easier than others

If your in shape I'd say you could find a club in January next year, if your not fit you should probably start in September.:D

That's just my 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

Hi,

I'm with the TrueBlue SAC, we are a CFT club and have a constant rolling year around training schedule. We train in Guinness Pool, Dublin, on a Wed Evening at 18:00

Ask for Brendan or Damien when you get there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement