Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Place to look for bar work

• 04-06-2003 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm wondering if anyone knows a good way to look for bar work. Not sure where to start. I've checked a couple of the jobsites but most people who post there are looking for experienced barworkers. I've no experience so they are out of the question.
    Anyway Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

You mean working as a barman?
    I've been doing it now for about 2 months and i had no experience when i started.
    I was lucky though my uncle runs the pub.
    Do you know how to pull a pint?
    If you know how to pull a pint the rest is easy really, unless you're having to mix cocktails etc.
    The tills are usually straight forward, with all the drinks being marked on the buttons.
    If i was you, i'd chance my arm and say you worked in pubs during the summer or something.
    You'll learn pretty quick if they decide to take you on.
    If they don't, you'll have lost nothing.
    And don't be afraid to ask questions, and don't try and change a keg without knowing what you're doing! :)

Good luck,

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Try going for some experience in your local. When I went for it, I told my interviewer straight out that I'd no bar experience but was a very quick learner etc. slurp-slurp

Anyway he took me on for a week's trial, and once I proved that I could pour a pint and work the till, they decided to keep me on.

You might have to be willing to put yourself out for a week's trial.

Best o'luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Try in around town(Dublin) Those place on harcourt street always want staff. Pay will be cruddy and bad hours but oh well :)

If your young lounge staff really is a golden ticket. If your half decent you'll make about 50 - 60 a night assumeing the people tip half decent :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

try a hotel near you. they are usually more relaxed and quiet than a pub on a saurday night and it will allow you to learn more about running a bar than just pulling pints.
    nice way to get into bar management.
    although, the hours can be rotton if you get a crowd that want to stay up til 4am :(

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Originally posted by K!LL!@N

And don't be afraid to ask questions, and don't try and change a keg without knowing what you're doing! :)

and when they are teaching you to change a keg, be careful if they've suddenly backed off about 6 ft - they probably havnt told you to turn off the gas, and ure gonna get wet :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement