Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] New bill to regulate rental sector

Options
  • 04-06-2003 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/838564?view=Eircomnet
    Cullen to publish new bill to regulate rental sector
    Wednesday, 4th June, 2003

The Minister for the Environment, Mr Cullen, is set to publish new legislation this morning which will regulate landlord's ability to increase rents arbitarily.

The bill to reform the rented accommodation sector will impact on the rights of tens of thousands of tenants and landlords.

While obliging landlords to provide four years security of tenure if a tenancy lasts more than six months, it sets out a number of conditions in which a tenancies of less than four year's standing can be terminated.

The Bill says that rent reviews should be no more frequent than once a year.

Under the legislation, landlords will be also be obliged to insure the property, provide a point of contact, refund deposits, and ensure that tenants "can enjoy a peaceful and exclusive occupation".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I've read about this bill.
    Who wants to stay in a place for 4 years.
    The landlord can still raise the rent the same as he always could.
    I've never known a landlord to raise the rent more than once a year.
    Also landlords cannot raise the rent higher than the market rate or he would lose tennants.
    So whats new here?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    Who wants to stay in a place for 4 years.
    I've stayed more than 4 years in one place, many otehrs do, especially people working and renting.
    The landlord can still raise the rent the same as he always could.
    I haven't read the bill, but I imagine there will be some controls - like only once per year.
    I've never known a landlord to raise the rent more than once a year.
    A landlord trying to remove a tenant, might just try pushing up the rent to clear people out, rather than giving them notice, this will ahve greater significance in future.
    Also landlords cannot raise the rent higher than the market rate or he would lose tennants.
    The tenants may be dependant on a particular location - college, work, etc. and there may not be an open market in the location. Property is not a perfect market.

Residential Tenancies Bill 2003
    http://www.gov.ie/bills28/bills/2003/2303/default.htm

Advertisement