Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yet another dumbass who wants watercooling :P

Options
  • 04-06-2003 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

i have a dual cpu mobo (K7D Master L). the second CPU is constantly overheating. I even shelled out 58 euro for a Zalman Flower heatsink and fan, its even worse. I have 3 case fans. I even tried placing one of them on top on the heatsink to add some extra airflow. nothing. the CPU still bounces between 60 degrees and 67 degrees. The odd thing is, unless i have seti@home running on the offending CPU, it overheats even more!

so, watercooling i thought then. what would I need for a dual cpu configuration? I would of course like to extend it to my graphics card, and then possibly my power supply. I have seen on some german site a big radiator, it would be feasible for me to attach this to the side of my case externally. would this remove the need for an extra fan (usually on the smaller internal radiators)?

please advise me concerning the above config. oh, and the CPU's are both AMD 2400+ athlon MP's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

even stranger, i have one of those digital case thermometres, with little thermometres that you stick to the HDD, cpu or whatever. the one on this particular CPU reports 30 degrees! and yes, i did put HTC on the chip before i put on the heatsink

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,

are you sure that you mounted the CPU-heatsink in correct position?
    I mean: does the heatsink cover the entire cpu? Maybe you have a small gap and thats why the thermo-transfer does not work?
    How thick is your layer of thermal compound? It should be _very_ thin to give you the best transfer...

Maybe there is a problem with the MB, normally the second CPU doesn't get soooo hot (check cpu-voltage in BIOS!).

But to the first question:
    The Dual-Radiator is very big. It is possible to run it with only one ventilator, but then a good part of the performance is wasted.
    You can mount the radiator outside the case, but then you still need a case fan (even the MB and the Harddrives produce Heat).
    When you mount it inside you don't need case fans.

What do you need: From the "Innovatek-point-of-view" (There are other solutions available on the market) you need:
    two cpu coolers (the small one or the new X-Flow will be enough for the XP2400.)
    Normally I would say the normal 1046 Pump is enough, you can go for the bigger 1048 but this one is not available with the 12-Volts Connector.

Then you need Tube, a graphics Card cooler, destilled water, corrosion protection and thats it....

there are complet sets available on the market, they are cheaper than buying the separate parts!

hope that helps

jow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

the above would be with a view to overclock. possibly. so do i need two circuits for the whole thing dya think? remember the addition of a new GFX card (possibly the Geforce FX 5900 pro) and a watercooled power supply

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,
    the above would be with a view to overclock. possibly. so do i need two circuits for the whole thing dya think? remember the addition of a new GFX card (possibly the Geforce FX 5900 pro) and a watercooled power supply

OK, but I think you should sort out the existing problem (if there is one....)
    I don't think it is normal that the second CPU get so hot!

For the cooling: You don't need two circuits.
    If you want to overclock I would recommend: the rev.3 CPU Cooler (expensive but very efficient :D ), the Dual Radiator and the 1046 Pump (I've checked it with Innovatek, they said the 1046 is absolutely sufficient for Dual-Systems, even with GPU-Cooler) and it is easy to install.

Regards,

jow

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

One loop would be alright as the first CPU will only heat the water by about 0.5C which willl have a negligable effect on the rest of your components. As for a radiator go to a local scrapyard and pick up a heater matrix for cheap and will be better than the one's you buy online .You could also pck one to suit your case size .This website http://www.frigair.com/radiatori/riscald.pdf shows the size of the heater matrix's.

This would be a very good setup that would be far better than any kit
    pump maxijet 1200 €30
    radiator ~€30 (scrap yard)
    block WW €65 + shipping so about €100 at most .This is a very expensive block also the best commercial block. Beats a Maze 3 by about 5C
    Tubing connectors etc €20
    120mm fan €15
    probably forgot something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

resevoir?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

use a tee line so you only have a tee connector which is under connectors.Cheap way of doing it only drawback is that it takes longer to get the air out of he lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 @ndyb_ie

here guys have a look at this bit o kit

The Hydrocool200

www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030616/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Hi,

I have a Dual CPU watercooled setup for a while. Still moving stuff around and getting things nice.

Its the same K7DMaster L as yours, 2x Athlon XP 2400s (modded to MP) running at 2226MHz each. When the vcore is 1.85 the temps reach 63C after using Sisoft Sandra burnin on both cpus for an hour.

When the Vcore is lower the temps are under 60C. I can run the CPUs faster but Prime95 is no longer reliable. This is quite a hot system, it has a Radeon 9700 and 1GB of ECC ram installed, as well as a 73GB Ultra160 SCSI harddrive all (radiator too!) inside a Antec Lanboy case.

Other users reported (www.2cpu.com) that the MSI K7D always reports higher CPU2 temps, although mine doesnt. Ensure you have the latest bios (1.83?) as they fixed temp reporting problems.

My watercooled setup is run in serial too, in a loop: Reservoir-CPU1-CPU2-Radiator-reservoir etc.

Matt

Advertisement