Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ADSL modem?

Options
  • 04-06-2003 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi,

I just ordered Netsource SOHO (they told me it will take 2 weeks to be activated by Eircon:( )
    I wonder if someone could advise a good ethernet modem...
    I saw on ITDirect the D-Link DSL-300G+ at 101 euros(http://itdirect.ie/products.asp?subcat=1000788).
    Does any of you use it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Yup I use it, or rather I've tried to use it, but won't sync. dunno why. Activated since 23rd but dsl still no workyy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I haven't had any problems with mine, very happy with it. Great price for an ethernet modem. Much better than the 200 odd euro ones eircom/netsource try to flog you.
    Yup I use it, or rather I've tried to use it, but won't sync. dunno why. Activated since 23rd but dsl still no workyy....

What protocol you using for the authentication? It says PAP in the netsource info pack, but this modem seems to need CHAP for it work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

im looking for an adsl modem that would also act as a router??
    know where i can get one??

been looking everywhere??

cheers

oh one more question is a wan port the same as ur normal phone connection( rj-11)??? :confused:
    cheers again:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

is the wan port where you connect your modem to the router?

Rj11 from phone socket to modem --> rj45 from modem to router (wan port?)

i bought a linksys modem/router/wireless access point.......for stg£122 from amazon.co.uk, does the job nicely.

DO a search on the boards for more info on combined units...there are a few threads on different models etc.

• Advertisement

just looked up what you bought and it looks really cool exactly what i wanted and what ill go for except for onr thing!

Is it Mac compatible??

i will need to connect an iBook using macOSX

will this router/modem share the bandwith??

since u have one ur probably the one to ask!!

Cheers again bud:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

I think it should be apple compatible as router/modem config and setup is through the linksys default gateway 192.168.1.1 There is no software, so you just point your browser and log on to the unit to set up..

email linksys to confirm though , make sure that you buy from a supplier that will include the wireless card for free. eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008XYIT/ref=sr_aps_electronics_1_1/202-6368368-6416620

Also PM me if you need firmware upgrade (was necessary to get xbox live working, it's not released yet on their website, but works a treat).

Yeah it will share the adsl connection amongst all wired/wireless pc's connected to it.....just add another switch/hub to add more wired users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by MrPinK
    I haven't had any problems with mine, very happy with it. Great price for an ethernet modem. Much better than the 200 odd euro ones eircom/netsource try to flog you.

What protocol you using for the authentication? It says PAP in the netsource info pack, but this modem seems to need CHAP for it work
    Yup, I know, tried that, still doesn't work, appears to be activity but it can't estab;liush a connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

i have the D-Link 504 Modem/Router.
    Running it with eircom adsl for a month now with a server and 2 computers running off it.
    No problems here.
    I wholeheartily endorse this product.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

have a look at the Allied Telesyn AT-Ar240E...includes Firewall, DHCP, USB or Ethernet, Dynamic Port Opening etc...exellent little router...takes about two minutes to set-up...

http://www.ict-pro.com/products/at-ar240e.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by bazooka
    have a look at the Allied Telesyn AT-Ar240E.

In fairness, while I'm sure its a very good modem, €242 (inc. VAT) seems incredibly expensive for what it is - you could get a similar 4 port Conexant (another el cheapo brand) 4 port from dabs.com for about £55 (DabsValue). Even with the £25 shipping charge, its still less than half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

don't forget the Allied Telesyn includes Stateful INspection Firewall, and also on-site warranty for a year...

have a look at some firewall config screenshots:

http://www.ict-pro.com/support/manuals/firewall.htm

makes sense?

Advertisement