Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic ecommerce facility.

Options
  • 04-06-2003 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bigtime newbie question I guess but any help greatly appreciated!! Have been asked to assist in the construction of a website for a electronic component distributor and have sketched out a competent design including branding for their Internet presence. They also want to start offering an online acessory catalog and utilise a simple shoppping cart structure. My main question is what are the main consideration with this type of venture so I can better advise the distributor and are there off-the-shelf products that one can plug-in to do this job simply and effectively? Are e-commerce website templates any use?

I'm guessing a MySQL db with access via php and a shopping cart constructed around a php session object - am I going in the right direction?

How does one go about setting up a link with a payment clearing organisation - i.e. register as a merchant? Who would be the best people to approach for authentication purposes? I've heard of crowds like paypal, ccbill.com, ibill.com etc...are these guys any use? Are there any Irish-based transaction authorisation organisations?

What caveats & general advice would you give me at this point?

Really appreciate it dudes....!

MM.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

As far as the CC processing is concerned it would depend on the average sale amount and the number of sales expected.

Some of the processors deal mainly in products others in services - you would need to check

Paypal is a non-runner in the Irish market as you cannot get your money out of the account unless you have a UK bank account

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

you can transfer your balance onto your credit card though with paypal (IIRC). However, this may not suit.
    There have been a few discussions about this (on this board) in the last month or so.

Originally posted by kbannon
    you can transfer your balance onto your credit card though with paypal (IIRC). However, this may not suit.
    There have been a few discussions about this (on this board) in the last month or so.

NO YOU CAN'T

From the Paypal members' area help desk thing:
    Withdrawing Funds

Why can't I withdraw funds to my credit card?

PayPal has entered into agreements with MasterCard and Visa and we are unable to offer our members the ability to withdraw money to their credit card from their PayPal account.

that must be a relatively new rule then as I was under the impression that any CC holder could use their system

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

No it's not a new rule, this is the way it has always been.

Almost any CC holder can use their system, just don't expect to be able to withdraw funds if you're living in ireland.

• Advertisement

I see now from their help section:-
    PayPal's recent agreement with Visa no longer allows us to offer our users the ability to withdraw funds from their PayPal account to their Visa card.

Originally posted by kbannon
    I see now from their help section:-
    PayPal's recent agreement with Visa no longer allows us to offer our users the ability to withdraw funds from their PayPal account to their Visa card.

It's not recent. It's been like that for ages.

I already posted on this in the older thread including a screenshot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

I would back Blacknight up on the paypal issue I have about 1900 dollars sitting in a paypal account I can not get due to the fact I dont have a UK bankaccount, I tryed using a UK bank i.e the ulster bank but because its based in the Republic they will not pay up. I was not happy at the time however what can one do. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dynamic.ie

To process your payments you could use:

Realex Payments - Payment Service Provider
    www.realexpayments.com

&

Euroconex - Internet Merchant Account
    www.euroconex.com

There is info about both of these on our website, if you want to have a look.

Realex are great. Very professional and great support. Euroconex usually give a rate of 3.5% for new internet businesses but with existing merchants, it can be lower.

CC Payments accepted through these usually hit your bank account between 24-48 hours. No waiting really... unlike with WorldPay (4 weeks). Takes up to 2 weeks to get account with Euroconex and a few days with Realex.

For shopping carts, it really depends on what scripting language you want to use and what database. I know you mentioned PHP and MySQL but here's a few links of eCommerce solutions I have looked at and some I've used, for your review:

www.actinic.co.uk
    www.line9.com
    www.cactushop.com
    www.storefront.net
    www.oscommerce.com
    www.miva.com

There's a few off the top of my head. Any other queries... just shout!

All the best!

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Couple of new merchants there dynamic.ie first time i saw one of em thanks. :) bit of decent info there lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Euroconex - Internet Merchant Account
    www.euroconex.com
    Had a nightmare with these guys about a year ago. While they could have improved with practice(!) since then, I wouldn't go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dynamic.ie

Originally posted by peterd
    Had a nightmare with these guys about a year ago. While they could have improved with practice(!) since then, I wouldn't go back.

They have their own system called clikpay for processing payments. I don't use it ever anymore. I use realex for processing the payments and euroconex for the merchant account only. All eurconex do is accept payments from realex and put them into your bank account. On that basis I have had no problems but I wouldn't use there inhouse system (clikpay).

Regards,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

All the probs I had with them were related to the ClickPay system. As far as I remember, it was a rebranded Shopcreator (www.shopcreator.net ?) shopping cart. A real "pain in the stupid" to customise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have had dealing with Realex payments when they used to be payandshop.com and they are the dudes!!!! They allowed me to use their test servers for free when I was developing an ECommerce store for my year long Diploma project in college (scored 78% :D ). I always promised to make sure I got them as much business as possible since that!

Luke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Realex is fantastic :) We provide built-in support for them on all our reseller plans and ecommerce solutions -0 they are simply light-years ahead of the local competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Thanks a lot dynamic dude. Lots of stuff to read there, appetite wel and truly whetted now. Good info.

Advertisement