Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish

Options
  • 04-06-2003 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

yeah so im dead in it and stuff
    any tips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

pass or higher??

as my grandfather once told me "Who cares, its only irish"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

lol in all honesty its a bit late for tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

ah no, sure ive only started studyin :D i hear timpeallacht is an essay

sure friday is the hard paper. tmorrow is only the comprehending and the essay.

my examiner fell asleep twice today!! what a clown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Tommorow is not easy, I haven't got a clue how to write a stoy or letter.

BTW Fridays exam is only worth 18% or something so don't worry about it.

And ye, Any tips on what Story or Letter to look at in ordinary?

• Advertisement

18% - are you sure??

Originally posted by VinnyL
    18% - are you sure??

Oral: 150 marks
    Aural:120 Marks
    PI: 220 Marks
    PII: 110 Marks

Total: 600

110/600 x 100 = 18.33%

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

HAHA p.II 18%! what a joke! /me is till cacking myself about p.I tho.......im afriad i may fail, u dont know how bad i am at irish

is it 18% in higher also

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

Originally posted by ella minnow pea
    is it 18% in higher also

Nope! far from it in fact.. paper two has highest marks for higher level...

Oral = 150 marks 25%
    Tape = 100 marks 17%
    Paper 1 = 170 marks 28%
    Paper 2 = 180 marks 30%

Remember..
    Paper 1 all the marks are going for your irish.. so if your story is about you opening a cheese factory in South Africa it's all good as long as your Irish makes sense..

Paper 2 all the marks are going for your knowledge..( ie.. a 12 mark question is marked - 9 for eolas, 2 for irish) something like that

You'd think the teachers would tell us stuff like this.. its vital information.. fukin eejits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 romey

W-W-WHAT the oral is only worth 25% god damn i busted my ass 4 that exam! when it was over i was so happy i told my male examiner i was in love with him but i did it in irish so what the hell! p.s now, do not i repeat, do not completely take my word 4 this or threaten 2 kill me if it dosent happen but a prediction seems 2 b that gafa will come up on the pass paper 2.which wud b good cause its all i no! death 2 clann lir its EVIL i tell you EVIL!:mad: :mad:

ha ha! God really must have a good sense of humour,cause at the start of my irish exam i got a really bad nose bleed! and bled all over my paper! the examiner was a bit shocked when she asked if wanted step outside and i said "no i cant didnt timetable in bleeding so im staying right here!" what aweird day!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

LOL my nose was bleeding this morning too. Just started for no reason when I was having my breakfast. Was convinced it was gonna start again in the middle of maths but god was feeling generous today! :p

Pass Irish exam was really easy IMO, was finished in 50 minutes.

yours too? thats so werid mayb its a stress thing. yeah the pass irish was so sweet! even though it was about drugs and a disco i still managed to write about a timpiste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Can you look at past Irish papers on the net? I'm actually in college but just curious to look at what's on the leaving these days.

the essays in higher were HELL i tells you
    comprehensions were cuddly enough i suppose
    essays were just prickly though

Originally posted by ella minnow pea
    the essays in higher were HELL i tells you
    comprehensions were cuddly enough i suppose
    essays were just prickly though

the paper was Hell, cuddly AND prickly... i'm glad i did ordinary.

all i want is to pass damn irish.... stupid 7th subject

yeah twas a cuddly prickly hell....like being forced to watch telly tubbies playin with pineapples

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Oh come now...

Higher level? A debate about the internet? What more could I ask for?

And the comprehensions... Jesus were they easy! Except that question about the airplane. Didn't know what the hell that was about. Anyone answer that?

mwahahaha i got it
    twas about air rage or some such nonsense...
    DEAD in paper II 2moro am i

• Advertisement

me too! know nothing 4 paper 2 does any1 know if u can pass the whole exam even if u fail paper 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Just a quick question... how much do people write for their paper 1 essays? It says that you need only write 500/600 words on the exam paper, but our teacher drives us to write reams. Personally I did 6 pages today... all of it came from memory.

Oh yeh the airplane thing, I asked myself the same thing. My first answer was well developed actually.. I said that it was to draw a contrast between the two modes of transport, ie cars + traffic + airplanes and evoke a sense of irony.

Then I read over it again... crossed out that answer neatly. And changed my mind to... that hes comparing the rage and destructive nature that traffic provokes in people to the behaviour drunken people on airplane flights.. or some such nonsense.. didnt know what it was on about to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

does any1 know if u can pass the whole exam even if u fail paper 2?

Yes you will pass as long as average of whole exam > 40%. I been studying history today, will have a read over a few poems and stories before bed. I have done enough on paper 1 and aural to pass anyway and thats all I need in irish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

Originally posted by Sev
    Personally I did 6 pages today...

meep!
    i did 2!
    wtf did you write about?
    tbh, you REALLY dont need to write that much, my teacher said 2 pages of good irish is better than more of waffle, altho if you're writing as much as 6 im assuming you're very good at irish.
    ah well its over and done with, im not aiming high anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

i read the essay titles.. realised i couldnt do any of them..
    moved on to stories.. didnt understand them.. started panicking then.. moved on to articles...no luck there either..

debates... ive never done a debate in my life..
    i had no choice.. so i wrote 2 & 1/2 pages on what i thought was "idirlíon" turns out i wrote a debate on transition year... whoops! (idir bhlian) thats me ****ed...

that airplane question was sad.. the paragraph went on about traffic gettion hectic and people cutting across gettin stuck in yellow boxes.. they then threw in a random sentence about airplanes! fuk!.. i wrote about 6 words for an answr:)

Over all i did pretty sh!t...

Tape was cool..
    i'm pulling an all nighter now for p.2...
    cramming everything that is rumoured to come up..

Done ordinary today. I finished it in twenty minutes, left after half an hour, wrote 1.5 pages. I done a lot more than I thought. I didn't do a bit of studying because I don't need Irish, I just done the exam for the sake of it. I was expecting to fail but I'd say I scraped a pass (a whole 5 points lol).

Oh no.. Irish is most definitely my weakest subject. I just had reams of material learned off. I picked the first essay title. Disagreed with it, and went on about the difficulties of poverty in comparison to the wealthy. I probably had it finished before you did your 2 pages too :) Some people in my class did 7 and maybe 8 pages.

That's the Culligan way... learn off essays, spit them out on the day. And it worked, paper II was so suited. Automatic writing from memory all way. Except for the pros, I didnt study that at all :/

But im sure theres a whole lot of mistakes in it too.. didnt go back and read over it either, couldnt be bothered. I dont care much for Irish anyway, I didnt do it for points.. I don't know why I did it at all really. Its over now anyway.. thank god.

Originally posted by Seraphina
    ah well its over and done with, im not aiming high anyway
    Originally posted by Seraphina
    i did honours, handy paper too, all the stuff i knew best came up so i was well pleased, im counting on it for one of my higher grades.

Ahem...

• Advertisement
Advertisement