Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ping Optimization

Options
  • 04-06-2003 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

In the Half life read-me it states that you're latency can be improved if you disable data compression.
    I was snooping around and i found two types of compression.

(This is Win XP pro btw)

If you go: Start-Connect to-(utv or eircom) and right click then -properties - configure

Here, under Hardware Features is a checkbox to enable/disable "modem compression".

Start - Control panel - Phone and modem option - Modems - Properties - Advanced - Change Default Preferences
    Here, there's an option to enable/disable "compression"

Anybody know which of this the HL read-me was talking about?

Also? does disabling compression enhance game play in HL but deteriorate normal surfing and download?

One more thing, Is there any other tweaks in either of these modem dialog boxes to improve pings and online gaming performance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I'd think you'd want compression...

to save on bandwidth.

VJ compression for example... will reduce the header size of packet (x) sent through your modem.

Compression is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I have a link that might answer your questions:

Help Reducing Lag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Compression is awful for pings, tweak your modem and internet connection settings.

you can drastically improve your ping with the right settings, search the cs forum, there are countless numbers of threads from the ye old days 56k.

Advertisement