Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value Gaming PC

• 04-06-2003 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

Click on the attachment to see the hardware for a very good pc that can be made for under €1500 euro. If your interested in building your own pc then check this out. It is taken from
    Sharky extreme Value Gaming Pc guide but I have added URLS to sites that sell the hardware for the cheapest I could find that deliver to Ireland. Prices don't include shipment and delivery.

Most of the hardware can be purchased from Komplett

Enjoy!:ninja:

CLICK HERE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

from Komplett

EPoX EP-8RDA+ mainboard for Socket A DDR
    nForce2SPP/MCP-T,1394,USB2.0,LAN, FSB400
    EUR 106.96 inc. VAT

AMD Athlon XP2800+ 2.083 GHz 333 MHz bus
    Socket A (Barton) processor, 512kb BOXED
    EUR 215.66 inc. VAT

Cooler Master AERO 7+ AMD
    ASB-V73 til AMD XP3000+ CPU and Higher
    EUR_39.43_inc. VAT

Crucial PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL3 5ns
    Unbuffered, Non-parity, 2.5V, 64Meg x 64
    EUR_86.06_inc. VAT

MSI GeForce FX 5900 128MB DDR
    AGP, FX5900-TD128, Tv-Out/DVI-I, Retail
    EUR_433.25_inc. VAT

LG CD recorder IDE 48x/24x/48x/16x Combo
    "Super-Link" (GCC-4480B) Internal Retail
    EUR_99.74_inc. VAT

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB IDE
    ATA/100 harddisk 2MB cache 7200RPM
    EUR 90.98 inc. VAT

Sony Floppy Drive, 3,5" 1,44MB Black
    Floppy Drive Internal
    EUR_16.17_inc. VAT

from Elara

ThermalTake
    TH V1000D Xaser III, Blue w. Window
    €186.68 Incl. VAT.

Total: EUR 1282.09 inc. VAT

Much better gamong system.

:D:D:D

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

Thats alright. But are you sure your hardware work well together.
    Also the combo drive you chose is crap!!!

I bet my choice of components would out do yours.

The Geforce FX is useless. you should have spent a few euro more on the radeon 9800 pro 128mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Chowley do you work in tralee but live in east cork? (sorry for going off topic)

carry on regardless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Adrian
    Thats alright. But are you sure your hardware work well together.
    Also the combo drive you chose is crap!!!

I bet my choice of components would out do yours.

The Geforce FX is useless. you should have spent a few euro more on the radeon 9800 pro 128mb

I have a two 9800s (and a 9700) and I can assure you the FX 5900 is not useless. I assume you are referring to 5800 which had problems.

At least the AMD system has a decent soundcard (nForce2 onboard), for the €1500 Intel system I would at least expect something more meaty than souped up AC97.

Looking at what people (well, you) consider a good "value" system, I wonder what my PC is? I wouldnt have thought it cost me that much more than your spec. to build (P4 3.06, DC DDR, Raid, 9800, Audigy2 etc), yet its considerably better.

My idea of a value system is €900 -> €1000 and generally when I make PCs for friends and relatives they consider that to be expensive.

Matt

PS: Ive used the LG combo drive and its fine.

Ya you definately must be getting mixed up with 5800 from what ive read the 5900 takes the wee out of the lowly update that is the 9800 pro.

No Washout i live and work in Cork City.
    I wouldnt have thought it cost me that much more than your spec. to build (P4 3.06, DC DDR, Raid, 9800, Audigy2 etc), yet its considerably better.

Are you taking the piss. Where do you get these incredibley cheap components??:D :D

• Advertisement

Suppose I do eBay a lot of stuff.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

yeah the new 5900 is laughing from a height on the 9800 at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Before a p*ssing competition ensues over radeon vs nvidia can I point something out .....

the current crop of games that are being released now or abotu to be released (such as Doom3 & HL2) are ONLY NOW starting to utilise the features of the likes of the GeForce 3, yet alone the newer chipsets.

So it's kinda irrelevant and boiling down to a "my weeny is bigger than your weeny" debate

Originally posted by Lemming
    Before a p*ssing competition ensues over radeon vs nvidia can I point something out .....

the current crop of games that are being released now or abotu to be released (such as Doom3 & HL2) are ONLY NOW starting to utilise the features of the likes of the GeForce 3, yet alone the newer chipsets.

So it's kinda irrelevant and boiling down to a "my weeny is bigger than your weeny" debate

True, but another way of looking at it now is that games are now being released that utilise the DX8 features introduced by the GF3. Sure the GF3 can run them, but can it run them fast enough? How about with 4x AA on? How about with 16x AF on? How about with both AA and AF on (let alone high res and view distance)? No, I think the GF3 is rather useless these days, despite its ability to "run" any game. I need something that can play games at 1920x1080 with AF and AA on. For me I could justify a 256MB card (nVidia or ATI, its all good) and would have got one if I was willing to wait 2 weeks.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by superfly
    yeah the new 5900 is laughing from a height on the 9800 at the moment

Have you seen the benchmarks for the 5900 Ultra and the 9800 256mb? The 9800 comes out on top, but only barely. Most of the tests have very little between them, one card doing better than the other at one resolution and worse at another resolution. They are 2 very evenly matched cards. The only deciding factor is really the price, which you can get the cheapest.

• Advertisement

The only way you are going to be able to run Doom 3 on with full detail is a 5900 or 9800.

Have you seen the benchmarks for the 5900 Ultra and the 9800 256mb? The 9800 comes out on top, but only barely. Most of the tests have very little between them, one card doing better than the other at one resolution and worse at another resolution. They are 2 very evenly matched cards. The only deciding factor is really the price, which you can get the cheapest.

Mr.Pink you are totally wrong there.I think you must be getting mixed up with the 5800 ultra which the 9800 pro barely exceeds.
    The 5900 ultra trounces the 9800 pro.
    The 256 mb versions of these cards are also completely pointless unless you are using huge resolution.
    Check out this review to be enlightened.

Toms hardware guide: FX 5900 Ultra

Luckily, some ppl have gone and done a bit more testing than Tom.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDcyLDE=

I find those results very hard to believe.What they are showing me is that the 5900 ultra is just a renamed 5800 ultra.

Not really. The 5800 barely outperforms the 9700, and is put to shame by the 9800. The 5900 is a great card that really saved nVidia's credibility. It's a massive improvement over the 5800. Personally, I'd probably choose it over the 9800, but it by no means 'trounces' ATi. It's great to see some real competition in the gfx market. That'll teach nVidia to keep their eye on the ball, and not get into bed with Microsoft again :)

Originally posted by Chowley
    The only way you are going to be able to run Doom 3 on with full detail is a 5900 or 9800.

Mr.Pink you are totally wrong there.I think you must be getting mixed up with the 5800 ultra which the 9800 pro barely exceeds.
    The 5900 ultra trounces the 9800 pro.
    The 256 mb versions of these cards are also completely pointless unless you are using huge resolution.
    Check out this review to be enlightened.

Toms hardware guide: FX 5900 Ultra

Gotta love the "benchmarks" Tom chooses:

Benchmarks
    DOOM III - Special Preview (has bugs on ATI Drivers)
    Unreal Tournament 2003 (an nVidia partner game?)
    Splinter Cell (a game that was heavily backed on another nVidia platform, Xbox)
    3DMark 2001 SE & 2003 (no need to comment on them)
    Codecreatures (another nVidia backed program)

Toms hardware truly is the most unrelible pos hardware websites out there. I stopped reading their "reviews" a long time ago.

The 5900 is a great card, but not to the degree Tom portrays.

Matt

Sorry am I just imagining this but isnt UT 03 what everyone uses to test graphics cards along with 3d mark.I havent seen Splinter Cell used before.
    Kind of looking for conspiracies here arent we.

Advertisement