Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Control Access To Bandwidth

Options
  • 04-06-2003 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

Not sure if this should be in here, but it is both applicable to Broadband and Networking!!!

Bit of a background first, we are six lads all sharing a single 512k RDSL line from netsource. We have a Linksys BEFDSR41W xDSL router/modem and al is working as it should.

We have encountered a problem however, how to manage access to available bandwidth. More specifically, prevents downloads consuming all bandwidth during online gaming.

Can anyone recommend an application which will both monitor and possibly police access to the bandwidth, or does anyone know of any alternatives?

Luke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Damn I know there is such software, but I can think of names.. However afaik you must have it on a main server (host) and then that controls the other "guest" computers bandwith.

Sorry for very little info but thats all I know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I had one that would limit downloads while i played online games.
    It was perfect... scaled down a download to the nearest .1KB/sec.

Ill have a look for it, and no it does not need to be on host computer.

Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Thats would be bloody savage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

chiefs program won't really work for you, as it'll just limit your downloads when you play games. It won't limit the other 5 peoples downloads while you game yourself. So you have to have something on the central server. Linux QOS will do this nicely with tc (from iproute2). It's not that simple though, and I've yet to find a handy gui for it. There's some how-tos floating around.

There's probably an expensive and less good windows equivalent somewhere, but I havent seen one. If you find a decent soloution, post if up here will you please?

Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hi

Regarding the Linux applications, will a lunix box need to reside between out network and the xDSL router we are using?

I am assuming this is the case as you need something to regulate the flow of traffic between our LAN and the router?

Luke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Chief---
    I had one that would limit downloads while i played online games.
    It was perfect... scaled down a download to the nearest .1KB/sec.

do you remember the name of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 netsrc custmr

I am also curious.. anyone using the linksys BEFW11S4 ? I came across it in google under a search for bandwith balancing:

"he Router can also be configured to filter internal users’ access to the Internet"

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=540

Theres also this piece of software which I am going to try as soon as I get a router http://www.webattack.com/get/ezproxy.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

You need a device (router/linux box) to either do prioritising of the game packets over the download packets, configured based on the different protocols, or DiffServ which will not only do prioritisation but also limit/reserve bandwidth for the different apps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

found it...

clickmeclickmeclickmeclickmeclickmeclickmeclickme

Unfortunately my trial period has ended. *cough*ehhem*

Sheesh, theres that cough back again.

CHief.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

If you're using a router, you really need proper Diffserv; just prioritising game packets doesn't help much because you only get to prioritise outbound packets going upstream, and the problem is the downstream traffic.

Diffserv can throttle back downloads when there is game traffic on the wire, which should help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Chief---
    found it...

nice1 :)

Advertisement