Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What poet did you pick? (HL)

Options
  • 04-06-2003 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

I picked Frost i dunno if i made the right decision though:(

Which english poet did u pick 33 votes

Donne
    0% 0 votes
    Frost
    15% 5 votes
    Plath
    21% 7 votes
    Heaney
    63% 21 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Heaney was the only one i knew\studied and thus i picked hin and was very relieved when i saw him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Insectman2000

I wrote about bob marley
    I really shouldnt have got stoned before i went into the exam

A~h well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

lol...

anyways I chose Plath, and did a biographical style analysation of her poetry...

that letter to heaney looked like such a POS. I think I actually will send a letter to heaney calling him gay for that one...

anyways I sure only bout 10 people in Ireland did Frost which give you an edge I suppose. Anyways I'm not even gonna think about these exams again until at least when I'm repeating next year :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i would have done plath... but unfortunatly i couldn't because i did my leaving cert 2 years ago.... i guess one day i may get over this grave dissapointment:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭DSMe

Plath here answerd on Mirror , Child , The Arrival of the Bee Box and Poppies in July... i did it in the order i would have read them in and why i would read them ... picked these 4 cause i thought people in the audience would be able to relate somehow to this maniac... i think i did alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Plath... wrote my essay mostly from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

Plath... wrote my essay mostly from memory.

How else would you have written it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭DSMe

memory? i basically made mine up from foresight .... Sylvia who?

Noone else did Donne? aww.

Did: Valediction: A forbidding mourning, The anniversary, The Flea, and Go and Catch a Falling Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

No.. what I mean is that every English paper I've ever sat, I just went in and made up my points and put down whatever ideas came to me as I was writing. This was the first time I ever actually did some study for English, and was as such able to just reel off stuff I had memorised. T'is great. I hadn't prepared my comparative tho :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭dNC | Tickle

Plath was a dead cert, her anniversary and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i did frost because he was the only one i studied that came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

I did Plath....
    I looked at her for the first time the night before.. memorised the stuff ( knew she was coming up)
    I picked.... Morning Song, Child, Mirror and Arrival of the Bee Box..

I wrote an intro saying.. Id pick... *4 poems* ... and this is why:
    I then wrote a page (ish) about the poem.. then under that i wrote 5 lines about why i would pick that to read in public.. i repeated this for the other 3 poems..

twas 4 & 1/2 pages in all.. Was this a good approach?.. my teacher is class and i copied his notes word for word nearly.. the layout was ok tho ya? id say i'm one of about 3 (of 50 ) that did plath in my skool.. evry1 did Heaney .. this is also good..

I kicked the Unseens ass tho.. cool little poem.. although quite disturbing..

Macbeth.. never was good at it.. but got 3 pages done.. comparitive - struggled to write 3 pages.. fuk it!
    i got a B3 in the Pre.. LC was practically same paper 1.. id say i'll drop to a C1 tho cuz pre was marked easy
    "be optimistic dammit" .. yeah B1 in the bag.. i'd really love one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Plath.... had Heaney prepared very well but the whole letter thing looked a bit risky....

Couldn't believe the Macbeth question.... I picked evil as a random topic to prepare the night before... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭pseudonym

Donne, Hopkins or Heaney would have done me and when i got the paper, like every1 else i talked to, i opened it from the back and checked the poets first, let out a sigh of relief which became a cloud of joy on discovering the piss easy nature of the macbeth qs and the cultural context. "In light of your understanding of the term"!!!!!!!!!!!Come on.
    Anyway,,,,,,,,,,Donne q was lovely and wrote an epic 5 1/2 page opus on his metaphysical pursuits, placing emphasis on The Sunne Rising , The Anniversarie , The Flea and Batter my Heart , which I am delighted with.

Advertisement