Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VMWare and Windows 3.11

• 04-06-2003 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anybody out there using this bizarre setup? We need to consolidate some _old_ machines, and one of our legacy app's not for upgrading.

I'd appreciate the opportunity of asking some q's -
    - how good is the emulation?
    - what's the best setup for this?
    - Can a VMWare session be setup over the network, to deliver the client OS to a, say, XP machine?
    - are there any local (Irish) consultancies on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

I tried it for nostaslgic reasons, to see how word6, excel used to look while i was in college etc & all worked well.

Except networking, i couldn't get networking to work at all, maybe someone else got this to work under 3.11?, or preferebly DOS. I downloaded the AMD PCNET DOS odi drivers etc, but each time it would say that it can't find the network adapter. Needless to say networking works fine under win95/8 etc.
    Can a VMWare session be setup over the network, to deliver the client OS to a, say, XP machine?
    Dunno about vmware however Connectix Virtual PC can be configured to set up a VNC server, so you can use the VNC Client on a remote machine to view the VM. Not fast, but it works.

Advertisement