Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sadest scene in a film ever?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

nadir wrote:
    Not a Film, but Full Metal Alchemist has some seriously emotional scenes in it.
    I second that, best anime serious ever, most moving series I have ever seen, particularly near the end when
    He gives his life to restore Al back to life, no film has ever done anything as moving as that

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

Look im not afraid to say it, Trinity's death scene in the Matrix revolutions,
    and half way up mount doom where frodo tell sam to "GO HOME". thats only to mention a recent few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Terms of endearment, at the hospital when she's saying goodbye to her son's because she know's she's going to die.... heartbreaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

alancool wrote:
    A.I. Now i know he's only a Robot... but the scene at the end as Hallie Joel's Osmond's Mam gets tired and falls asleep after he was given a day to spend with her by the "Aliens".
    I didn't cry for it but it was definatley the saddest. Absolutely crap movie.

What's this about them not being aliens? Where did that come from? I thought they were aliens. It was a few years ago when I saw it but still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

I didn't cry for it but it was definatley the saddest. Absolutely crap movie.

What's this about them not being aliens? Where did that come from? I thought they were aliens. It was a few years ago when I saw it but still...
    This was a sad scene alright. Even sadder was when I got this as a present on DVD - I almost cried :p

They were robots made on Earth by a previous generation of robots - they were curious about the robot child that actually had memories of living humans. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭johntf008

I'm one of the lucky few who recognise that AI is a masterpiece, but I digress...

One of the scenes that always makes me tear up (I never cry - gah!) is in Peggy Sue Got Married, when Kathleen Turner picks up the phone (while in the past) and it's her dead grandmother on the other end. Gets me every time, as indeed do all the scenes with her grandparents...

Sob!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Look im not afraid to say it, Trinity's death scene in the Matrix revolutions

More like the most unintentionally funny scene ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Was on today, the final scene in Mr Holland's Opus.
    Very moving film actually, very good aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

The Sara Goldfrab story in Requiem for a dream is heartbreaking, One Particlar scene that just tore me up was the scene after her 2 friends meet her after she has the EST and the 2 friends are sitting At the bus stop and they're crying and hugging, that scene is just heartbreaking

I always cry in the last scene of Dead Poets Society (my 4th favourite film) out of happiness and sadness at the same time. It's not that it's incredibly sad but it's very moving.

The A.I. scene is still the saddest in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Miles

Know that you mention it the A.I. scene was pretty sad.

Also:

Terms of Endearment

When Deborah Winger expires, Niagara falls. You can watch the tears start to well up when she has her last conversation with her boys and then when Shirley MacLaine yells at the nurses about her daughters pain medication.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but Braveheart - the greatest film of all time!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

has nobody else said the end of American History X yet? cuz i cried my eyes out at that.

I was waiting for someone to say that. It shocked me at the end.

Also on my list are:

The Green Mile
    GATTACA
    Armageddon
    The Passion of The Christ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 milagro

Who Will Love My Children, In America and The Champ.
    Watched the Champ the other day, bawled my eyes out, the kid was fantastic, "Make him wake up"

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

End of T2 when I first saw it all those years ago.

kensutz wrote:
    I was waiting for someone to say that. It shocked me at the end.

Also on my list are:

The Green Mile
    GATTACA
    Armageddon
    The Passion of The Christ

Yeah American History X was sad but doesn't make me cry.

The Green Mile is pretty tear conjuring.

GATTACA is terrible but sad.

Armageddon is sad enough.

The Passion Of The Christ!? That's not sad. It's not even good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

milagro wrote:
    Who Will Love My Children, In America and The Champ.
    Watched the Champ the other day, bawled my eyes out, the kid was fantastic, "Make him wake up"

I saw a bit of the Champ the other day (only like 5 mins of it) and I'd like to see the whole film but I cant find a Region 2 DVD of it anywhere, does anyone know where I can get one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Eldarin

"john coffey you have been condemded to death by a jury of your peers. ....... Electricity shall now be passed through your until you are dead ....... May God have mercy on your soul" One of the saddest for me.

When brooks hung hinself in The Shawshank Redemption.

Gisepie's Death in "In The Name of The Father"

Seriously now, optimus primes death in the Transformers Movie.

veronica guirans death in When the Sky Falls.

When Mad World starts at the end of Donnie Darko.

ET, Need I go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Honestly have never cried at a film,cant imagine doing so. Infact,certain songs get the hair on the back of my neck raised alot easier than any film scene normally(Juicy,Me and My Bitch(trust me,it actually is emotional despite the title) and Suicidal Thoughts by Biggie Smalls,the last few verses of The Town I Loved So Well,i wouldnt cry,but it can send a chill up ya or put the hair up)

Hmm,lets think

Theres a little seen great film called The Saviour,afaik its Yugoslavian made but stars Dennis Quaid as a muslim hating american who joins the serb army in Bosnia,and gets lumbered with a gorgeous serb girl and her baby,who was fathered by a foreign muslim fighter in a rape. Anyway,shes cast out by her family and ends up killed in a serb massacre after they mistake her for a muslim. Meanwhile,Quaid and the baby are hiding in a nearby boat,and he has to keep the babys mouth covered to prevent her crying,meaning they would both end up dead (seeing as he is on the run for shooting a serb soldier who was beating the babys mother)

Have to admit,when he takes his hand off the babys mouth,and for 2 minutes you think he suffocated her,I skipped a beat or two

Theres also a rather cool scene where a little muslim girl of about 9 lobs a grenade into a serb soldiers post,which is all rather good seeing as he was intending to shoot her for the hell of it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mobile04

in leaving las vegas
    my heart . a very small one mind you lol.
    almost shatered.
    if yous bhoys havnt seen it
    rent it. a must see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 bos

Having watched 100 Greatest Tearjerkers on Channel 4 last night, I have to revive this thread once more...
    • E.T. - Obviously
    • Dead Man Walking - When Susan Sarandon sings 'Be Not Afraid'. Sets me off every time.
    • Forrest Gump - The bit where he finds out he has a son who's smart
    • Billy Elliott - Several bits, but the bit that sticks out in my mind right now is when he is saying goodbye to his grandmother and she grabs a hug without saying a word.
    • Return of the King - "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you"
    • The Colour Purple - What can I say? I'm easily manipulated. No one scene. I usually have a lump in my throat for at least half the film!
    I've never seen Sophie's Choice, but after the clip they showed on Ch 4 last night, I'm not sure if I EVER want to see it. That just looks too rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

musician wrote:
    As has been said with TV Series you are more involved hence I shed a tear or two when Captain Winters told us of Easy Companys fate at the end of the last episode as they played baseball. Band of Brothers remains the best thing ever made for television.
    Agree 100%, the bonus documentary "We Stand Alone Together" on the DVD boxset (basically all the interview bits used at the start of each episode and more of the same) really wells me up.

The very end of Saving Private Ryan
    "tell me I've lived a good life"

Platoon: Elias's death, though I think the score has a lot to do with that.

Cinema Paradiso - the final scene where he plays the old film reel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

That Blackadder one really blindsides you dosn't it!!

Requiem For A Dream always leaves me stunned for about half an hour after seeing it.

It's A Wonderful Life - Has me in tears from the start to finish!!!! "Teacher says, everytime a bell...." Great film

Big Fish - The last ten minutes or so always have me in bits!!

I was watching that top100 tearjerkers and I thought it was cool that they included the Office Christmas Special when Tim gets with Dawn. That scene was directed + written better than most intentional tearjerking scenes in movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

The end of the Iron Giant: "you can be what you want to be"
    King Kong - the original
    The death of the Lion in the "the lion, the witch and the wardrobe"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

cruel intentions
    armageddon
    A.I
    but i dont cry at films like ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

What about Il Postino? What is wrong with you people! Hearts of stone and all that...

That Aidan Quinn - Father movie, won't be watching that again, bawling in the cinema WHILE I WORKED THERE! Not good.

I thought the saddest scene of Billy Elliott was when he was on the bus for London and his brother wanted to tell him he loved him and couldn't through the glass window...sad

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Reef

Charlottes Web...The ending. I'm being serious, I don't think I've ever cried so much over a film!

Cruel Intentions also...there are a few more but can't think of them right now

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Reef

when the dog dies in "Turner and Hooch". have always wept when i see it.
    Oh, that's desperate, I also bawled at that!

And in babe pig in the city when the little old dog in the wheelchair is hanging onto the car and is flung off.

I'm an awful sap when it comes to animal movies. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

The Champ!!!!

Watched it yesterday on dvd and I swear its the most tearjerking/sadest film ever made. There were a few places where it was really powerful, but none moreso than the end:

"Champ, wake up Champ!!". "Make him wake up!!" :( Poor little T.J, his father is his whole world and then he's just...gone. Jesus that's hard to watch. :(:(:( Terrific performances all round, especially little Ricky Schroder. Amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

"The death of the Lion in the "the lion, the witch and the wardrobe"

Whoa I'd completely forgotten about that! that had me inconsolable when I was a kid, even now it still strikes a tone.

Ok, the above, parts of Gattaca, the final bit (as has been mentioned above) of the WW1 blackadder, those futurama episodes (Agian as have been mentioned) involving time travel, pets brothers etc. The bit in Last of the mohicans where
    Munroes youngest daughter throws herself off a cliff rather than give herself to Magua.. and rescue just around the corner, sniff.

The shawshank redemption; almost the whole film!
    I found in the first matrix film (before they got rather silly)
    when almost the entire crew of the nebrakeddezar -or however you spell it- are betrayed by cipher, very very sad

Advertisement