Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CVS Command line

Options
  • 05-06-2003 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

normally I just use Eclipse or WinCVS but I have so much crap to pull down I thought a batch file with just sections I want updated

So I run something like...

cvs login (enter password)
    cvs update p1 p2 p3

But says my password is still blank? Anyone know how to make it remember the password in the command line? I thought all it needed was to run cvs login?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Maybe you can use something like "expect"?

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Trojan
    Maybe you can use something like "expect"?

Al.

? There is no expect command. Can you explain more?

There is an export command but I need to an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

CVS can be a little daunting - have you tried using TortoiseCVS? Its really rather good. It should make what you want to do a doddle.

thanks but I'd much prefer how to solve the command line option. I have enough crap relating to CVS installed on my machine. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Ok then. What protocol are you using? I'm guessing pserver. What sort of server is the repository on?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

More information please. Are you logging in via pserver or ssh, or is the repository local? what is your $CVSROOT ?

Have you read the manual and/or the cvs book?
    http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/

pserver is explained here: http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html#Accessing_A_Repository

If using one of the others, post back saying which.

I'm using PServer,

CVS root is...

:pserver:username@domain.Name:/path

It works fine in wincvs / Eclipse.

I run cvs login and type in my password and it logs in fine. I get this...

>cvs login
    (Logging in to username@domain.Name)
    CVS password:

No error when I type the password and hit enter.

I go to run cvs update I get the following..

>cvs update -P -d p1
    cvs update: authorization failed: server domain.Name. rejected access to /path for user username
    cvs update: used empty password; try "cvs login" with a real password

As for the book, I have that laying around in the back of my cupboard. Suppose I should just dig it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Make sure that shell variables cvs requires are being set properly for the batch file when its executed.

Advertisement