Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duplex boxes and adsl

Options
  • 05-06-2003 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

Im on good terms with my local computer shops owners and there daughter is married to a guy working in eircom, they asked him about my adsl problem and couldny come up witha satisfactory answer as to why my line failed so they asked me to write down exactly what happened and theyd pass on the info to him and hed look into it, and apparently he did cause i was in store yesterday and they gave me an explanation as to why my line failed, first one in eircom to do so, now whether its just a fob off ill let you decide but heres what he said.

according to him it is in fact the street cabinet at the front of my estate thats stopping me from getting it, he called it a duplex box

pic here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=915580

My copper is upto standard according to him, but the problem is its split 5 ways to heaven from the street cabinet to other houses, so unless i have a copper wire running directly to the house it aint gonna happen.

So i dunno ill let the debate if there is one to commence lol

Regards
    Shin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

burn the box and when they replace it demand your own dedicated line :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Isnt this grossly illegal..
    What kind of dialup connection speeds do you get?

Complain to Comreg about this again.. Tell them you will take it as high as possible to get the duplex box out of your estate!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

im getting a connection speed of 42667 syn as im writing this now and it rarely drops below that

regards

shin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭jd

Interesting-it doesnt seem like a shared line from thebox with that connection speed. Do Eircom run fibre instead of copper from the box back to the exchange, I think this would preclude adsl I believe.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by jd
    Interesting-it doesnt seem like a shared line from thebox with that connection speed. Do Eircom run fibre instead of copper from the box back to the exchange, I think this would preclude adsl I believe.:rolleyes:

havent a clue about that jd

regards

shin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by jd
    That's the port speed he's getting I think, e.g I can connect at 115k on a 56k modem, doesn't mean I'm getting that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Originally posted by Jorinn
    That's the port speed he's getting I think, e.g I can connect at 115k on a 56k modem, doesn't mean I'm getting that speed.

to check this, then try downloading a file (off the fastest server you can find - i recommend HEAnet), and look at the speed that the download program reports (after a few seconds)

it'll be in kilobytes per second:

1KB/sec = 8kbps connection
    2KB/sec = 16kbps connection
    3KB/sec = 24kbps connection
    4KB/sec = 32kbps connection
    5KB/sec = 40kbps connection
    6KB/sec = 48kbps connection
    7KB/sec = 56kbps connection

16KB/sec = 128kbps connection (which i get sometimes even over a split 28k line :confused: (and it isnt just a software bug because it keeps going for about 20 mins at a time))

hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hope you dont pass by that box on yer way to work, think it would melt my head knowing it stands before me and adsl.
    W
    hy not write to your local counceller and explain that you've learned this is preventing your estate from getting adsl, and maybe they can do something about getting it replaced ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

thats a sub exchange and would have to be upgraded to adsl individually, how? i dont know. If i remember correctly when adsl launched in the first six exchanges oen had a sub exchange like that, and there where loads of people here that couldn't get access because they where on the sub exchange. they are usually kept in a better condition then that.

Don't give up hope, theres one in fairview that was ungraded afew months ago, i was calimly walking along and asked the guy what the feicing hell he was doing.

piccie below

sometimes drops below 3 into the 2's but thats just on a busy server

regards

shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

4.45KB/sec = 35.6kbps connection

just multiply the KB/sec (kilobytes) by 8 to get ur kb/sec (kilobits) value (8 bits in a byte)

Originally posted by andrew163
    4.45KB/sec = 35.6kbps connection

just multiply the KB/sec (kilobytes) by 8 to get ur kb/sec (kilobits) value (8 bits in a byte)

does that mean my lines shared split etc

regards

shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Well, i have yet to see a 56k modem download faster than 4.5k sustained. So unless your REALLY lucky, thats the max you'll ever get. I know some ppl who's max is >4k, so considar yourself lucky. As to whether that means your line is split or not, i don't know, but that speed is the norm for 56k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Theres one of those things up the road from me. When i went to get ADSL all the way back when Eircom were first trying to release it i was told that i was on a sub exchange. Now i still can't get Eircoms ADSL/ RADSL but i can get Esats business ADSL apparently. Im lost now tbh, have no idea what i can and cant get :p

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Theres one of those things up the road from me. When i went to get ADSL all the way back when Eircom were first trying to release it i was told that i was on a sub exchange. Now i still can't get Eircoms ADSL/ RADSL but i can get Esats business ADSL apparently. Im lost now tbh, have no idea what i can and cant get :p

Hmm im beginning to sense a pattern here, must talk to the engineers who seem to be always fiddling about with that box next time i see them

Regards

Shin

Advertisement