Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper 1

Options
  • 05-06-2003 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

Just got out, i left early *gulp*.

i did ordinary. quite a nice paper i must say. couple of the questions were tricky and i didnt recognise them, ah well, think i got around 60%, which will mean ill fail cause im hopeless at paper2:(

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Higher Level Maths wasn't too bad, certainly wasn't impossible, if you knew your stuff you were grand, no real tricks. No first principles either surprisingly, the factor theorem was there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

easy peasy lemon squuezy

only one of two part c's gave me trouble on ord paper 1. i think i sohuld a stuck to honours...

is paper 2 ord easier or harder than paper 1??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

*really* happi with Higher Paper1 :D

pity I looked at the volume of a cone rather than a sphere last night for Q8 :(

Attempted all 8 questions.

Delighted to see an easy divisibilty proof there. Handy part b so it was.

Differenciation Qs were pretty good.

can somebody help with Q1c

x2+10x+c=0

roots differ by 2p.

show p2=25-c

I took p and 3p as the root.

sum of roots =10x
    product = c

Q3c I just didn't know. Hadn't looked at it a all :(
    1, w, w2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pfitz

for 1c
    the roots are (a) and (a+2p)

a+2p+a= -b/a (a)(a+2p)= c/a

then work that out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭DSMe

i did higher level and i failed so badly , this realy is unbelieveable ...im goin to have to repeat because of this......i thought it the hardest paper ever , i only did 4 of the 6 that i had to attempt and even then i got them totally wrong , u wouldnt believe how gutted i am. maybe in the next paper i can pull myself up to a pass , but im practically goin to have to get an A in every other subjuect to get my points (475).... uhhh what a waste of 2 years...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

Kaimera, you need (or at least, this is how I went about it) to say that the roots are (alpha), and (alpha + 2p) You then use the normal -b/a and c/a stuff for the equation, and go from there to get the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Honours paper wasn't too bad. I found the algebra questions the most difficult strangely. The differenciation questions were ok though and integration was quite easy so it kind of balanced out for me (well I hope). I'd say I'm hovering around 55% atm which suits me fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Im 85% +

I know for definate i've lost 12 marks so lets hope paper two goes up to pull it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Flew through paper 1 ordinary level. Didnt leave any parts out which is unusual. Im very happy with it as in the pre me paper one really let me down.

On definate course for an A i think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

x2+10x+c=0

roots differ by 2p.

show p2=25-c

right.. what are the roots?

(1/2)[-10+sqrt(100-4c)]

you got one root for plus.. one root for the minus..

subtract one from the other and you get

sqrt(100-4c) = 2p

take the root(4) out of the square root

2sqrt(25-c)=2p
    25-c = p^2

volia

Good luck on paper II lads.

• Advertisement

Q3c I just didn't know. Hadn't looked at it a all
    1, w, w2

sorry didnt see that..
    Well the equation was z^3-1=0

told roots are w, w^2 and w^3 or something...

and asked to show 1 + w + w^2 = 0

Well.. let x = 1 + w + w^2

then wx = w + w^2 + w^3

but... w^3 = 1, because w is a root of z^3-1

so wx = 1 + w + w^2

then x - wx = (1+w+w^2) - (1+w+w^2) = 0

x(1-w) = 0

so x = 0

ie. 1 + w + w^2 = 0

As for the second part

(1-w-w^2)^5

Well thats [2-(1+w+w^2)]^5
    = [2-0]^5
    = 2^5
    = 32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Did Higher Level. I thought it was the hardest Maths I've seen in the last ten years, although I'd say I probably got about 60%. Algebra contained things that I've never seen in my life. Q3c was very hard too and Q8c I couldn't do. I finished most of the parts a's and b's anyway. But I think Paper 2 will be a lot harder. I'm doing Trig which I think will be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Yeah I got 85%+ as well, a really good paper 2 and I could scrap and A1.
    I only couldnt get q4 part c and even then Ill get my attempt marks.
    Very standard paper with no surprises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Ha.... did Ordinary..... funniest exam I have ever seen..... no questions about cooking turkeys though....

Anyway.. I only did 6 questions, didnt even look at sequences and series. I saw some crazy proof for part c and realised why I always hated that part of the course. I looked at question 5 tho, saw what looked like a very simple binomial theorem proof. I had no idea what the hell "the equal" meant, thought that I better not risk anything on it, either way whatever I was doing was giving me the wrong answer for some reason.

Anyhow.. the other 6 were fine, got all 6 part c's out fine. Only thing thats bugging me was that I forgot to evaluate dy/dx for the point they gave. My paper was also very messy, did a lot of messing on the simpler a/b part questions that you just play around with stupid numbers, so cant be sure that there isnt any other mistakes in it... it's just pissing me off that it wasnt 'perfect'.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

god that ord paper was **** hard............did quite badly, i attempted everythin but felt that 80% is wrong.... well thats what u get from a **** teacher and not studying...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Cheers Sev :)

looking at it there tis piss easy.

Kinda panicked a a lil cos but did pretty good me thinks.

I hadn't looked at that part of complex numbers at all even tho I really had been meaning to go over that proof myself.
    looked at question 5 tho, saw what looked like a very simple binomial theorem proof

yeaa...twas a very nice part b of a question.

I'm too lazy to look up how to do the last party o Q5 :)

S&series was... :-|
    I KNEW I should have listened to him about recurring decimals. Ahh..attempt mark and I got part bi out but made a balls of b[ii]
    and then got c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

uh sev the answer for 1c (ii) is p>5 but also p<-5!!!!!!

heres how i did teh p^2=25-c

roots = -10+-(100-4c)^1/2
    all over 2
    if 2p is difference then (100-4c)^1/2 must equal p as the surd+- is teh difference between teh roots thus:

((100-4c)^1/2)/2) 100-4c = 4(25) - 4(c)
    =(2(25-c))/2 = 25-c^1/2

square both sides and viola,
    p^2 = 25-c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Originally posted by Sev
    I had no idea what the hell "the equal" meant, thought that I better not risk anything on it.

There was a correction read out to us before the exam about this. We were told to ignore the word 'the'.

Hopefully I got +85%. Part c question 6 threw me a bit. Anyone?

• Advertisement

Yeh.. you're right, had p<-5 down first, crossed it out. Hopefully it might be redeemed.

Originally posted by plazz2000
    There was a correction read out to us before the exam about this. We were told to ignore the word 'the'.

Same with us.

Part (c) 6 I said.. that y=x+c..

so its slope is = 1

So find the points on the line 1/(1-x) for which the slope is 1.

ie. dy/dx = 1(1-x)^2 = 1

x=0, in which case y = 1
    x=2, in which case y = -1

you have points and slope, you can get the equation of the line.
    y = x + 1, y = x - 3

How do you do Q2c and 7c please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by DSMe
    i did higher level and i failed so badly , this realy is unbelieveable ...im goin to have to repeat because of this......i thought it the hardest paper ever , i only did 4 of the 6 that i had to attempt and even then i got them totally wrong , u wouldnt believe how gutted i am. maybe in the next paper i can pull myself up to a pass , but im practically goin to have to get an A in every other subjuect to get my points (475).... uhhh what a waste of 2 years...

Is that you matthew?

Don't have the paper with me, cant remember the details exactly. But 2(c) was simply a matter of dividing accross the equation first by k^2t I think. Then showing sum of roots being blah, product of roots being blah, then knowing A^2 + B^2 = (A+B)^2 - 2AB, throw in the numbers, and the k's and t's nicely cancel out.

7(c) was about seeing that when you differentiate the thingy, you have the cos(A+B) identity.

cos(theta + pi)cos(theta - pi) - sin(theta + pi)sin(theta - pi)

cos cos([theta + pi] + [theta - pi])
    = cos(2theta)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

ya didnt mind maffs paper higher level one actually...hay im i the only girl here doing higher *shesh*
    nice questions, only a smidgin of a smatterin of part (c)s were mingin lingin
    yay roll on paper 2

I need a little help If someone is willing to help me calculate my percentage.

Q1a:correct
    ----b:correct
    ----c(i)Correct
    (ii)attempt mark

Q2a:correct
    ----b:correct
    ----c(i)messed around with it but I didn't get it. I put 1 in for y and got it right but I don't think theres any marks for that.
    (ii)attempt mark

Q3a:correct
    ---b:correct
    ---c:I put w and w^2 in for z and I messed around a lot with this question.

Q6a:correct
    ---b:correct
    ---c(i)correct
    ----(ii)wrong
    ----(iii)attempt

Q7a:correct
    ----b:correct I think (ans: tan x)
    ----c(i)attempt
    (ii)attempt (most marks!)

Q8a:correct
    ----b(i)correct
    (ii)I obviously let u=sinx and I got {u^6 du, and I made small blunder after that!
    ----c(i)correct
    (ii)didn't try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It seems to have been well recieved over all, although I have heard a good few complaints.
    Hopefully if they are enough complaints then they will mark easier :)

From my calculations you got 71.667% providing those were all accurate :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭DSMe

nope , not matthew

Advertisement