Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN in Offaly?

• 05-06-2003 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Do you know if ISDN is avaliable everywhere in offaly?
    If it is do you think it is worth it?

Personally I think the prices are way too high to get any kind of decent speed you need to use the two connections which is the price of two calls. And a single connection probably won't work out much faster than my modem connection.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ive isdn in tullamore for 2-3 years now . its worth it . think its available everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Dont waste your money man. I get nearly as good a speed as single ISDN with a good quality 56K modem and a good phone line. ISDN is expensive to install, crazy to run (high rental!) and only half decent if you use both channels which costs a bomb. Its still not available everywhere because I have tried to get ISDN lines put into remote country schools in offaly and laois and many a time its not available in the exchange.

Get broadband now or wait a few months. The prices will be dropping again this summer. I know that for a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by pclancy
    Dont waste your money man. I get nearly as good a speed as single ISDN with a good quality 56K modem and a good phone line. ISDN is expensive to install, crazy to run (high rental!) and only half decent if you use both channels which costs a bomb. Its still not available everywhere because I have tried to get ISDN lines put into remote country schools in offaly and laois and many a time its not available in the exchange.

Get broadband now or wait a few months. The prices will be dropping again this summer. I know that for a fact.

adsl will not be in offaly till october at earliest

isdn is way faster then ur modem

no modem can compair to a isdn 64k line in any decent respect ( i can have 2 ppl on a 64k isdn line without probloms playing cs ping under 90 lets see that on a 56 k with one user )

if schools in shannon bridge and kilcormack have 4 isdn lines installed . i see no reason why u would be in a area that cannot have it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

The kilcormac exchange does support isdn but you are a fair distance from it so this will prob charge you all sorts of hidden fees for you to connect. I'm sticking with the 56 K cause it will be a while before we see adsl out here and the speed increase out of an isdn is not enough to warrent the expence.

Advertisement