Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer trying to connect to 194.145.128.33 by itself

Options
  • 05-06-2003 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

My computer trying to connect to 194.145.128.33 by itself.
    i have looked this ip up and it is ESAT.
    I have nothing from Esat installed.
    My service provider is netsource.
    Are esat installing spyware now?
    Can anyone tell me how to find the offending program?
    I have Zonealarm, but it doesn't identify the specific program.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Perhaps netsource are owned by esat? maybe they use esats dns servers?

In any case try 'netstat -an' to give you a clue as to what local port or what destination port you're connecting to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Still tho, surely it shouldn't be trying to auto connect .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

What's trying to connect to that address exactly?
    That IP address resolves to chipstick.iolfree.ie, when you put that into a browser it redirects to www.iol.ie

I don't know whats trying to connect.
    At start up i get a message telling me that a program is trying to connect to that address.
    Doesn't tell me what program tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Did you check the logs? Might give some sort of indication.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Oops I didn't realise it was happening at startup.. thought you meant while you were connected with netsource...

You don't say what OS you're using, but check what applications are starting via the registry:
    off the top of my head its in a key called RunOnce or likewise in hkey_local_machine/software/windows .. that and check event viewer if you're running NT/2000/XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

try downloading a trial of 'Spybot'. It will search your HD for any spyware programs, although I think its just a clitch in some program. Did you ever had esat/Iol as an ISP?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Do you have an iolfree email account...chipstick is a mail server.

I have nothing from ESat or IOL at all.
    After the No Limits carry on a few years ago i refuse to have anything to do with them.
    I do visit tthe iol web site from time to time tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What programs do you keep running at all times?
    Is chipstick IP showing in a netstat all the time?
    Possibly you have a worm virus that's trying to send out email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if chipstick is a mail server, it's possible that you have a virus thats trying to spread itself about.

only reason i could think of for that to happen though would be if you have an email app on the PC that has an old iol email a/c set up in it.

did you used to have an iol email a/c on the PC anywhere?

even if you don't use it, if it's on the PC and you've picked up a virus, it might have detected the settings when it worked its way through your addressbook and tried to contac tthe server to do its dirty little deed.

I might be wrong, but it's certainly something to consider.

if you have a firewall then I'm guessing you have some AV software too, so you might want to do a virus defs update and do a full and I mean really FULL system scan to see if you can dig anything up.

but like I said, I might be wrong.

you did come here for iseas though didn't you :)

Advertisement