Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper 3d games coming for GBA

Options
  • 05-06-2003 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

[edit]completely changed instead of starting another thread on same topic[/edit]

ohhhh! this looks interesting! A whole new chapter on GBA gaming is about to be opened thanks to Raylight Studios’ Blue Roses engine. Platstation quality graphics on a handheld, sweet!

The first game based on this 3d engine is going to be Wing Commander: Prophecy.From the screenshots here (a little small) its looking quite promising.

imagine playing a port of Half-life while on the train without having to lug a laptop arouund....mmmmm.
    (ok that might be a bit ott but a guy can dream :))

just after finding a trailer for it http://www.gamershell.com/download_1584.shtml
    it doesn't look have bad graphics wise at all! :cool:
    my wishlist now is for Freespace 1 & 2, best space combat games imo.

also a demo of a wipeout type game
    http://www.raylight.it/anims/warpout.mov Raylight interview and 3d engine spec

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

impressive graphics...

MUST resists urge...to..buy GBA sp...and make love to it...day and night..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Looks pretty good, definately a leap in graphics for handhelds, looks like high res doom graphics tbh (there are many programs you can get to run doom in high res with mouselook etc: jdoom is my faveourite tho).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Jerky, muddy, blurry junk.

Why would anybody want sub 1st generation Saturn graphics when they could have some of the best 2d graphics available?

Non-rerelease GBA software has been shockingly poor. Such wasted potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

that looks quite excellent. does anyone know if this is the product of nintendo's planning to bring the old snes fx chip to gba games? i've heard that star wing is due a gba release next year. i think its all part of nintendo's plan to nip the 3d handheld market in the bud before the psp comes out.
    as for the best 2d games, rumour has it that there is a "massive wave" of mega drive games on the way soon for gba.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    Jerky, muddy, blurry junk.

Non-rerelease GBA software has been shockingly poor. Such wasted potential.

which clip are you on about? i thought WCP looked pretty good, the only real jerkyness i coud see is the movement because the d-pad isn't analogue.
    the wipe out type game was just a tech demo, not an actual game.
    Why would anybody want sub 1st generation Saturn graphics when they could have some of the best 2d graphics available?

Well, industry sources are saying its at least as good as early 1st generation playstation games. And as more developers use it it can only get better. Raylight themselves have said now that is released they're focusing on optimising the code to increase performance.
    I for one think its a brilliant development, it enables a whole new genre of games to be played on the gba. Some games just aren't made for 2d, the GBA Splinter Cell game is one example.
    And how many 2d games have you bought for your pc\xbox\cube\ps2 recently??
    Originally posted by public_enemy
    does anyone know if this is the product of nintendo's planning to bring the old snes fx chip to gba games? i've heard that star wing is due a gba release next year. i think its all part of nintendo's plan to nip the 3d handheld market in the bud before the psp comes out.

The problem with that is it will make GBA games more expensive as developers will have to include the chip in their cart. its a pity Nintendo didnt have the foresight to include some sort of 3d gfx chip in the GBA. Maybe they will in the GBA SP2 ?? (Might as well start the rumour mill:D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

God but that WipeOut-a-like didn't look the best. Very rough and the pop-up...oy.

Granted it was just a demo - glad to hear that they're looking at optimising things because God knows things need optimising. Could be good. :)

as for the best 2d games, rumour has it that there is a "massive wave" of mega drive games on the way soon for gba.

Where'd u hear that, Public? And what "generation" Mega Drive games? Like the first few (Sonic, Revenge of Shinobi) or the later ones (Toy Story, Vectorman)?

Chiaz,
    Epitaph.

I'm a big fan of the Mega Drive but many of the graphics in the games should be given a touch up if they were to be ported to GBA. The MD colour palette means many of the games haven't dated as well as they might have.

What I'd ultimately hope for is a pocket pc with a nice d-pad, 6 face buttons, a nice screen and a good battery. That way I could play emulated games. GBA software is just too expensive.

That 3d software they're showing is just tech demo's. The reality is you'll get a crap framerate. And the controls won't suit. It'll be just like GBA Doom. Sure there's a "Wow, how did they do that?" factor but you won't find them much fun to play.

ngc magazine claimed that sega were going to announce a "massive wave of mega drive games for gba" at e3, i'm not entirely sure if this has actually happened though...

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    What I'd ultimately hope for is a pocket pc with a nice d-pad, 6 face buttons, a nice screen and a good battery. That way I could play emulated games. GBA software is just too expensive.

one of my friends bought this this thing called a gp32, it's like a pocket pc only its shaped almost exactly like a gba (screen's good though) so its good for games, you can download emulators for it and it uses memory cards up to 128 mb. the one i saw had a nes and a master system emulator on it and over 500 games in total, and snes and mega drive emulators exist too. i think it costs the same as a gbasp.

I know about the gp32 for a while now. It's a korean handheld with a 100mhz processor.

The problem is while it can handle master system, pc engine, commodore 64 etc it probably won't ever have full speed 16-bit emulators. It just isn't fast enough.

Pocket PC's generally have better support and they'll be cheap and powerful enough soon to easily handle SNES, MD and GBA emu. It's just the interface that's lacking at present but hopefully that'll change in time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Wing Commander is pretty cool, fairly addictive too!! The graphics are smooth during the game play and it even feels a bit like the orignal Games

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Some brand spanking new games for the GBA would be nice. I'm sick of looking at the selection and see too many Snes re-releases.
    I want to see original games, from an original concept, not some game of a movie.
    The GBA has such potential and yet I feel that the GB color games still outrank the GBA games.
    I went around smiths, game and HMV last week looking for a game and the only thing that sparked my interest was Zelda with four swords. I had the game in my hand and I was seriously contemplating getting it and the I thought, "wait a minute, I've played this to death on the SNES. Four Swords just isn't enough to get me to spend my money on this!"
    And I don't have anyone to link with either!
    I then contemplated getting oracle of seasons but I was dejected by the lack of quality games for the GBA and I didn't want a cartridge that was going sticking out of the top of the console.
    I'm waiting for something new that has quality embedded in the name and I sincerely hope that Raylight Studios can be the ones to deliver.
    Please Nintendo, restore my faith :rolleyes: (that's me looking to the almighty nintendo god in the sky :p)

I'm after reading about rumours of a GBA 3d chip they might use in GBA games. Somewhat like the SNES's Super FX but far more sophisticated.

Not a bad idea but it'd certainly drive up the price of the games alot.

Advertisement