Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P4 heatsink

• 05-06-2003 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I got my P4 2.4C processor today and I thought that I would be putting heatsink compound on top of the processor and placing the heatsink on top ......

BUT.....

On the part of the heatsink that attaches to the processor there is this thin black pad .... and when I checked the packaging and fairly limited paperwork that came in the package there was no mention of needing to use heatsink compound .....

So, is the black pad on the bottom of the heatsink enough or do I use compound instead of / with the pad ???

Anyone done this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

It depends on a few things.

1st yes the dark pad on the bottom is a kinda of compound,

2nd if you have a good fan systems (one that came with chip) will do ok as long as you dont block off vents etc etc

3rd you can put more compound on the heatsink, but i would advise you clean the original black stuff off first.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The blakc thing is a thermal pad.

Remove it.

Clean with WD40.
    Rub down with a J-cloth.
    Earth the heatsink.
    Apply your Arctic Silver.
    Apply heatsink to cpu slug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,
    3rd you can put more compound on the heatsink, but i would advise you clean the original black stuff off first.

Please: Never use the thermal-pad AND compound together!!!!

This will result in a significant loss of the heat-transfer and eventually destroy your cpu!

The best way to archieve a good cooling efficiency is to remove the pad (very carefully with a soft wood stick or something similiar. NO screwdriver!!!), clean the area on heatsink with liquid that removes the grease (Sorry, I dont' know the english word) and use a thin layer of good thermal compound. WD40 isn't very good for that, because it is oil based!! The heatsink should be completely free of grease or oil! Even fingerprints ware not very helpful ;)

On the other hand: The Pentium's normally won't get very hot, they have a heatspreader so the pad maybe enough.
    Just be sure that the pad has at minimum the size of the CPU-heatspreader.

jow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I use Nailpolish Remover (The basic stuff, Acetone based) for all my PC cleaning needs. People have warned me that it will "dissolve" PC Components... hasnt done anything in the 4 years Ive been using it. I dont earth heatsinks either and sometimes I walk under ladders. :p

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Cool (figuratively speaking) :p .... I'll use the black pad on the intel supplied cooler for a while until I get a zalman or something else thats silent (or nearly silent):p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

have a look at the artic silver instructions for some good tips etc on how to do it. They don't care much for WD40 either ;)

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

i use nail polish remover, but don't let it anywhere near any plastic bits. I was cleaning a heatsink once, and a drop went down the side of the heatsink to the plastic piece that held the fan on, and the whole thing started melting and crumbled away o_O Was cheapo plastic (cheap heatsink, komplett sent two motherboards instead of two heatsinks =), so had to get a quick replacement).

WD40 removes all from the surface, but will leave a thin film over the heatsink, protecting the heatsink from rain and rust. This is not great for thermal transfer, so if u use wd40, clean it off with another cleaner after (dunno what removes wd40 tbh).

Advertisement