Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP IDE driver problem

• 05-06-2003 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭

My PC, running WinXP, was having trouble detecting my new DVD Recorder properly.
    I think the problem was with the IDE drivers, so I download the latest version from the website.
    Trouble is, while I was installing them, something went wrong and the PC locked up.
    Now, all it does is "blue screen" and reboots itself, even when using "last know good" and "safe mode" options.
    I installed a spare hard disk into the PC and loaded a clean version of XP and everything works, including the DVD Recorder.
    Can I just copy files from the working version of XP across to the borked version to get it working again? ( If so, which files? )
    Or is it a registry setting that needs to be changed?

Patrick. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

try a "dirty install"

boot from your XP disk and select, install XP (not repair!). It will then find your existing instance of your OS and ask if you want to repair. Type "R" to repair.

Your docs, progs etc will stay the same, but DX and IE will be set back to defaults as your SP status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

I'd recommend staying with your new clean copy of 'xp
    Repairing the old install of it could turn out to be messy.

"copy files from the working version of XP across to the borked version to get it working again"

No that is not rceommended,if the file u are trying to copy is a system critical file u will not be allowed to copy and paste by the OS.If however u are running fat32 and can get hold of a boot disk u could possible copy through DOS -cnsequences are unknown though?
    It would be alot easier to backup all ur documents ,settings,favourites,saves ,mp3s,downloads etc to ur new HD and format the old one and ,then reinstall XP again:)
    Takes time I know, but once u do it if u ever have trouble again
    it s very easy to format and get ur machine backup and running again.(I'd recommended doing this every year anyway its like u've got a brand new machine again!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Tried a "Dirty Install" last night.
    Didn't work - Still getting the blue screen but at least it doesn't reboot before you can read it.
    Ho-Hum. Looks like I'll have to do a clean install. :rolleyes:
    Now - Where's those bit's of paper with the DSL settings, user ID's, password's, etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

Heart breaking I know!:D
    Make a word document this time wit all ur passwords dsl settings and serials and make a hard copy!!--- Makes life alot easier!
    Gluck wit it!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

There is a Intel Application Accelerator program. All it does is update the IDE drivers for xp, but it only if really works for intel chip though

• Advertisement
Advertisement