Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer graduate

• 05-06-2003 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I am just after finishing my degree in computer science.

I have tried everywhere for employment but to no luck.

Does anyone know where I can get a job

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I think burger keing are hiring full time staff. Anyone confirm this?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by Peace
    I think burger keing are hiring full time staff. Anyone confirm this?:confused:

helpful ****ing git aren't ya..

thehopper have you tried all the big companies, Dell, Microsoft, Intel, Symantec, IBM, Hewlett Packard, etc ?

Also I believe oracle and sun take on a number of graduates every year..

If this fails, send your CV to loads of small-medium IT companies..
    www.irishjobs.ie has a huge list of IT jobs but I've heard bad things about them.. Doesn't hurt to try though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thehopper

Thanks Repli

I have tried all of the above. I have registered with recruitment agencies but still no luck. I have sent out almost 30 cv's but still nothing
    Any other ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'm in the same boat as you, so if you scroll down the list for any topics started by me recently (20 days should do it), you should find some advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

(try solving from a different angle:)
    get your CV checked / re-worked (by a pro pref.)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

There is an interesting article on ElectricNews which may be relevant to you.

http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=9362853

It may be an idea to contact your college or the relevant organisations respectively to clarify the statements within the article and to see what options are open to you (if any).

Personally I find the exercise a bit cynical (if my heart was still in it :D).

D.

Many thanks to everyone for their help

I have still not found any suitable employment.

What other avenues can I take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭flangeman

Mate, just keeping hammering on what ever you do.

Get some casual work in a bar(coz it means you can do interviews during the day) so at least you have some money coming in.

Look for charities and do some freebie stuff stuff for people, local business(they will love you for it), so at least you have something on your porfolio for your CV.

Or indeed pm me and send me your CV, my girlfriend used to work in the IT department of a bank here in the City(London) I could get her to have a poke over it.

But keep sending CV's, and keep ringing companies, don't stop, it took me 40 CV's once to get a role I wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

just give up now. the only people to get jobs had to go to the far east in the Fás exchange scheme. I got a contract job but that was only because they spelt your man's email address wrong in the ad so hardly anyone applied. By Xmas they were making redundancies there too. You won;t even get bar work and **** because they don;t hire people who they think will leave soon. Resign yourself to Dunnes stores or the dole. Seriously you're completely fúcked. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I think MrNuked should go into career guidance counselling.

Keep applying hopper, keep learning, keep making yourself more attractive to employers. You'll get a job, everyone does, it just might take a little while. And don't get discouraged and stop applying, if you aren't getting at least 10 not backs a week, you aren't applying to enough places!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by MrNuked
    just give up now.

Resign yourself to Dunnes stores or the dole. Seriously you're completely fúcked. :(

LOL, funniest post I've seen in a while :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

the 'avenues' left open to you are the ones you are willing to explore.

the way i see it, everyone has a number of different options.

you can get the job you want, or think you deserve -very rare :)
    you can get a job that you think is beneath you, but will in time open up the door to where you want to go -most people choose this
    you can emigrate and try to find work in another country - i did this
    or, you can sit around waiting to get the perfect job, and starve to death.

tbh, if you cant get the job you want, or something similar, you will have to decide if you want to do something else, take a crap job, or move to where there are jobs. ie. if you want be a bog cutter, dont live in the desert.

keep plugging the cv's. keep harrasssing the agencies (i mean hourly, not daily), keep looking at all the web sites and find out when they are updated. get your cv checked out
    remember, the cv is the most important weapon in your arsenal. its the item that will get your arse in front of someone.
    you could be stephen hawkings, but if your cv is rubbish, people will think youre a muppet and wont bother interviewing you.
    sell yourself.
    and think about what plans you have if you dont get a job you want by this time next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Brian McGee at Sentrio on Long Mile road was looking for .Net developers last wednesday (both experienced and grads).
    Don't know if he has them yet, but if you know anything about
    .Net then give them a ring and ask for him.
    The only reason i know about this is that i have a friend working there and he said he overheard them talking about needing some new staff for a project.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.
    Some great advice .

Does someone have a contact number for that chap on long mile road.

Does anyone else know of anyone who is recruiting.

Thanks

Hi,
    I checked last ith and its only C++ and C# programmers that they are looking for.
    Aparently it was advertised with an agency as well but i don't know which one.
    Try sending your CV to Sentrio anyway and bypass the agency.
    I assume they have a web site, so you can look there.

Does anyone know of any company(big or small) who are taking on graduates

I hate to be the one to say it, but in IT you're extremely unlikely to get a job as a graduate.
    Because of the slowdown companies are generally only interested in hiring people with a proven track record which graduates don't have.
    Its a horrible world out the for IT graduates.
    Having said that though, some companies on low budgets can only hire graduates, so that might be your opening, if you can find one.

do you know any companies out there who are on a low budget.

Thanks

Well that company Sentrio are on a seriously low IT budget.
    I've heard rumours about Eircom, but can't be sure.
    I heard in the pub last week that they had hired a coulpe of DCU grads but that was only pub talk for all i know.
    Try checking the UK job sites as well. Things are a bit rosier over there.

What sort of money would I be able to get if I move to the UK.

Would I have to move to London?
    What r the best companies in the uk to try

• Advertisement

well, i know this sounds silly, but what do you want to do?

i dont think we have enough of a selection of people working in the development indusrty to give a good overview of prices in the UK.

I would suggest you start doing some serious research yourself instead of going on the word of one or two people. while they may be correct in what they know, they wont give you an indication of the industry as a whole.

also, depending on where you go, salery will change.

the best companies to try are the ones with positions going.
    sounds silly, but there you go. you will have to start trawling agencies and web sites, the same way you would in ireland, but the market over here is a lot bigger, and there are a lot more things to do.

only you can decide what you want, dont just go around asking what companies to try, or where to go. discover for yourself what you want, where you want to go and what you will put up with until you get your experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭boo-boo

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    only you can decide what you want, dont just go around asking what companies to try, or where to go. discover for yourself what you want, where you want to go and what you will put up with until you get your experience. [/B]

As GBS once said, "Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get." Or my favourite piece of career advice is, find out what you like doing, and then get someone to pay you to do it.

Originally posted by boo-boo
    find out what you like doing, and then get someone to pay you to do it.

i like it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wwm is dead on.

Despite what people say and what the papers say, there are still plenty of IT jobs out there. You just have to be willing to accept maybe a little less then what you want (or what you're worth).

As others have said, apply to all the biggies. Almost every large company has a special place on their website for graduates to apply to, so apply to them all.

Scan through all of the ads online, in papers, etc etc. As wwm said, get a feel for what you'd like to do, and what you'd like to avoid. Then apply your little ass off.

Don't stick within the lines. Most ads will call for 1 or 2 years experience. Ignore it. Even if you only match half of the requirements, apply for the job. There's no harm in trying. You'll probably begin to notice loads of jobs saying "Must have x" and "You will have y", but these jobs will keep reappearing week after week. They try to set their sights a little too high when looking for candidates. No experience, no problem. You have a degree, and are willing to learn.

:)

Advertisement