Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Book

Options
  • 05-06-2003 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

When will the next Discworld book be released and what will it be based on The watch or rincewind or who?

This forum is seriously tucked away, its in the bowels of boards.I only found the bloody thing for the first time toaday.

:D:D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

1) I have asked DeVore if the forum could be moved to sci-fi / fantasy

2) I did some googling but was unable to find out what mr.Pratchetts next novel will be, I am sure someone will be able to tell you though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Considering Wee Free Men hasn't actually been out that long, he mightn't have started another book yet...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

still haven't read wee free men :( i must get it next week

has anyone read it? is it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Supposedly he is writing a DW book at the moment.His plan was to release Night watch at the end of last year and another at the end of this year.Its driving me mad.

hey, 1 a year isn't bad :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Inside information,
    The Creator himslf is dure to appear in Easons (O'Connell St, Dublin) in August for the release of his latest book which is out then. I have no idea of what it is, I just know there is a new one then, a friend of mine works there and gave me a heads up.

Discworld 028: Monstrous Regiment.

Is the name and it is out on the 2nd of October according to Amazon.

Good news.:D :D

sweet!!!

monstrous regiment eh.. hrm, wonder what it could be about

Judgin by the name its gotta be the Watch again, or maybe new characters altogether. But the watch books are the most popular i assume so its a safe bet.

i was thinking the watch yeah, but i dunno... we haven't had a witch book in a while

or it could be a standalone character one like pyramids or small gods..

• Advertisement

If its the witches Im gonna cry.
    Id love more of the Watch or another Rincewind book, Ridcully is brilliant and the Librarian ALL the WIZARDS are great.

:D:D
    :D

We need more focus on Nobby. A book about him would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

an entire book bout him? not pushing it a bit? the way in which the watch ones go about him is written very well i thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

he just to do two books a year one for yule and one for my birthday, now it is more like every 9 mnths or so .

oh, teh lazy bastard loike. shift his ass into gear!

really though, that isnt such a bad rate. are the books gettign longer in general tho? i notice some of the earlier books to be much slimmer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭bozzie

Originally posted by marclar
    are the books gettign longer in general tho? i notice some of the earlier books to be much slimmer

is that really a bad thing??

As long as he doesn't start rambling on inanely like Robert Jordan seems to be, then I'm all for longer books...

So has anyone read Wee Free Men yet? I wanna know what it's about...

yeah, i never meant that it was a bad thing... more value for ur moneh :P

i havent even SEEN wee free men:'(

aye, i haven't got it yet.. really damn want to though

must drop a few hints around the house that he has a new book out.. my mam likes him almost as much as I do :P

I think it's primarily a kids book.

• Advertisement

go away truckle. make it a rule for everyone tbh. no GTA vice city for you, bold boy.

unfortunately , yes.

tbh i think i would give it a go even still... pratchett's writings are genius mehtinks

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents was a kids book, but I still thought it one of his better books. Read it in a day, it was actually quite dark and kinda philosophical, and a damn good laugh. It only seemed to be short and very light on the swearing. I have no problem with WFM being a kid's book.

Pratchett's writing has a healthy dose of immaturity in it anyway. He seems to know exactly how a young person's mind works, and all the children in his books are just like the real thing...

"Sweetie NOW!"

"Bugger off, precious."

I'm just after thinking, how can he put the Nac Mac Feegle in a kid's book? They're foul mouthed drunken psychopaths! And they snaffle coobeasty, which is theft!

I think what makes a great childrens author, is an author who doen't underestimate or patronise children while they are writing the novels. This is why i think his childrens novels still make good reading for adults/

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Originnaly posted by shinji on the harry potter thread:
    Replying to some of the comments earlier in the thread... There was a fantastic cartoon in Private Eye recently which really sums up how I feel about much literature at the moment. Two authors are introduced at a party; one says, "I write books for adults, they deal with grown-up things like getting pissed, having sex and mid life crises." The other turns around and says, "I write books for children - they deal with childish things like the true forms of good and evil, whether there is a god, the nature of friendship and loyalty, and the reality of the world around us."

Says it all really

Originally posted by marclar
    go away truckle. make it a rule for everyone tbh. no GTA vice city for you, bold boy.

The reason i made that one rule for you was becasue you were being a spammy tard. I notice you have alreaddy broked it once ( that i have seen) and i was going to give you some leeway and wait for it to happen a few times, buut after reading the above, i banish thee from discworld for a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Alot of info on the new book Monstrous Regiment was dropped by the author himself during Terry Pratchett Week last January on the website http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com. Its all archieved in the msg boards but I'll give you some quotes.

"No, Monstrous Regiment won't be a Watch book, although some well-known characters will probably feature in the background. Mostly, it's all new people, and set a long way from A-M."

"Unless things go really wrong, both Otto and William de Word turn up in Monstrous Regiment. As I've said before, journoes are as useful as coppers in this respect -- they're easy to introduced into a plot."

"All I'll say is that it's based on an old song called Sweet Polly Oliver..."

Finally the blurb for the book is:
    "It was a sudden strange fancy, and now Polly Perks, in her brother's clothes and her hair cut off, has joined up to fight for her country. But who is the enemy? What is she really fighting for? War teaches you a lot, she finds, when it turns out that you joined the Monstrous Regiment. "

Advertisement