Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of music on website/cd business card!

Options
  • 05-06-2003 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Any 1 know what the legal complications are with regard to using an mp3 on a website or on a business Card CD?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

if you don't own it then you would probably have to pay royalties. There is also the issue that the music was copied into MP3 format without the owners permission (most CDs etc. have a clause on the back stating that the music cannot be reproduced or copied) and given that the companies are on the MP3 warpath it could be tricky.
    You are best off talking to an experienced solicitor

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

music would be embedded in flash swf file? therefore no one could prove it was changed to mp3........... still illegal?

"All rights reserved. Unauthorised copying, reproduction, hiring, lending, public performance, and broadcasting prohibited."
    Taken from the Slayer CD on my desk! I assume all other CDs have same/similar.
    How many of those rules would be broken by placing MP3 into SWF and then onto website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by ConsultClifford
    music would be embedded in flash swf file? therefore no one could prove it was changed to mp3........... still illegal?
    If you don't get caught, it's not illegal? :rolleyes: :D

As for being embedded in flash file - if it's compiled, it can be decompiled. At the very least, my guess is while it is embedded it probably is not encrypted and a binary search would quickly reveal mp3 headers.

In short, as kbannon pointed out without the artists permission (i.e. paying the appropriate royalties) it is illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Killions Right If you dont own it you can use it with out permission of the Owner or Copyrighter :(

• Advertisement

On a similar note here are 3 music related articles where the industry is trying to overcome those who use files illegally:
    http://www.internet-magazine.com/news/view.asp?id=3462
    http://www.internet-magazine.com/news/view.asp?id=3380
    http://www.internet-magazine.com/news/view.asp?id=3370

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are a lot of royalty free music sites available which could offer you something to fit your needs without breaking any laws.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It doesn't matter if you rip the audio into MP3 or some freaky format you wrote yourself that rips to eight times the filesize of a WAV. It's the /copying/ that counts, not the format. If in doubt, get in touch with IMRO. If might be cheaper than you think. Or enormously more expensive. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Jeez there's some crap spouted here. Making an MP3 isn't illegal. It falls under the authorised copying bit.

Producing something using a song will mean you have to pay royalties. Contact IMRO for specific details.

Also, when they tell you some extraordinary price, tell them to sod off, and offer a much lower one.

Rgds,

- Kevin

and your source for this is?
    If you look at the quote in my post of 05-06-2003 16:14 I assume that if you convert a CD Track to MP3 it does not "falls under the authorised copying bit" (P's quote) but in fact falls under the Unauthorised copying, reproduction bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement