Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie ISP? Our travels in Telcoland...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

does anyone think this really is beginning to sound like the matrix is devore trying to

FREE OUR MINDS

Well im taking the red pill

Regards

Shin

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If only I COULD wave my hand and all Eircom's routers would just fall over. That would be cool. I mean, it would crash the irish internet but, uhhuh, it would still be cool :)

No, actually this idea was as much Regis as mine. We just were sitting there one day pissed off about the state of things and commenting about how we had to wait for someone to "get it right". Along the way we realised that we're going to DIE waiting because NOONE can do it and profit in this market right now. So the only people who even stand a chance are a community of technologist...

Now where could we find something like that :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

this is actually a bit of a shock, but best of luck yo you guys and i cant speak for the irishwan but i am sure that most people in it wont mind helping you out, you should come to the national meeting in Limerick there will be alot of people there and i must say there is alot of very knowledgeable people on the wan, who have done alot of work with wireless equiptment and can help you out. I am not trying to put a dampener on the idea but do you actualy know how much work this is? you would have to give up your jobs to make it work. i am sure there can be some arangement with the irishwan because you would be an ideal company for us to buy our backhaul off. best of luck with the new venture lads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Good Luck.
    Boards goes from strength to strength.

Ste

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Nice....is the non disclosure agreement covered by the NDA???

If not can we see?? :)

I like the shares idea, worth doing if capital falls short.

As far as Irish WAN (I am not speaking for them) some of us already have set up local hubs, currently I serve 6 users in Clonard Meath sharing a 128K line via a proxy server using an Omni antenna for free. (I have paid for the line anyway so why charge my neighbours).

There are many others starting to link, currently donnybrook to Lucan is feasable and there is already talk of kinnegad, clonard, longwood and enfield trying to link up. The will is there, many will contribute time, materials and labour for free just on principle.

Although the wired arena is f***ed the wireless technologies coming onstream will make it a cheaper more efficient distribution model as time goes on.

JWT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

:eek:

that wasn't expected.

fair play to you for coming up with the idea and wanting to put it in motion

hope it works out.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I agree with Rabies.

Good Luck, guys as you'll probably need lots of it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by DeVore
    All we need is a way into your homes.

DeV.

Front door is open ,I'll put the kettle on.:)

If it gets off the ground ,down Limerick way and i can play games on it , then my signature is yours.

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Along the way we realised that we're going to DIE waiting because NOONE can do it and profit in this market right now.

No they can’t because somewhere along the line they are feeding Eircom’s debt mountain and oiling its hugely inefficient cogs. That organisation has ridiculous overheads and we are all suffering because of it. But in principal there is no reason why these services cannot be run at a profit, except for the Ericom factor. You have hit the nail on the head ..... Alternative Last Mile. Optimum solution – do it without Eircom/ESAT anywhere in the equation – and it looks like wireless is the way to go.
    What part of 'We tried and its all f*cked' " dont these people get?

The reality is that they are starting to understand. We have moved from that birdbrain O’Rourke to a minister who has the intellectual capacity, the openness and political cunningness to realise a good thing when he sees it. He is listening, saying the right things and so far following through with action.

This week, two members of the IOFFL committee sat in front of an Oireachtas Joint Committee, at the committee’s invitation, and got a serious hearing for their views. They were asked intelligent questions by members of all parties which demonstrate an awareness of the issues and a willingness to engage. Broadband is a live political topic. They are seeing the possibilities and the need. They are also seeing the potential damage of Ireland being in 51st place. In Irish terms, what we saw this week is unprecedented democracy in action; politicians listening and doing their homework.

Your case is a perfect example which can reinforce what IOFFL is trying to achieve and hopefully further clarify the issue for the politicians involved. Don’t procrastinate. Work and re work your initial post, and get it off today by registered post to the Minister’s office with a copy to the Chairman of the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Communications, Marine and Natural Resources. Preaching here is easy, we are the converted, your adoring and appreciative audience. Take the message where it matters, to the man with the power. Send him a clear message and follow up with a face to face meeting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Once again it underlines what the committee, Adam, Muck and many other have been saying here for month's now - we need a competitor that it totally independent of Eircom/ESAT's infrastructure to get real competition in the market.
    I'm not talking about just myself here, but everyone you mentioned and more: It's years, not months. Ok, two years, maybe one and a half, but you get the picture.

I remember myself and Fergus from the committee nattering about wireless back when I was PRO. We didn't fully understand it, but we knew enough to know that it was probably going to be the only alternative last mile. We could see Eircom weren't going to give up the last mile, that Esat weren't going to compete, that Etain had fúcked cable beyond repair. We talked about setting up networks, chatted about backhaul over dry lines. It didn't go anywhere, obviously, but we were serious.

CorkWAN appeared not long after that, and I got involved for the same reasons. I chat with my colleagues and ex-colleagues in CorkWAN about community and commercial wireless in the pub over beer. We natter about sites, and security, and backhaul, and competitors. If a few of us had the money for a commercial operation, we'd stick our first antennae up next week serving Ballinlough, and have it at capacity within a month or two. We'd build out quicker than you could spit.

I don't know if Boards is going to go ahead with wireless or not, and in all honesty I don't care, as long as /someone/ does it. Everyone here has the capacity for this, and if anyone is qualified, if anyone is /required/ to do something like this, it's IrelandOffline supporters. Wireless isn't rocket science, anyone can do it because you have to build a network of people to roll out, and there will always be enthusiasts in that community.

Seriously, go and find some people to join you and sit down and talk about it. At worst, you have a few beers and a rejuvenating rant about Eircom and Esat. At best, you take the last mile back and cut them out of the equation. They're weak now, they need us to stay so they can stay in business. Make them hurt. Cut them off at the knees, take money out of their pockets, send them packing. Send Phil and Bill back to their holes.

Phil and Bill eh? They even sound like muppets when you put them together. :D

BTW, Tom, what De Rebel said. Seriously, wrap it up in a pretty bow and send it everywhere. The Competition Authority, ComReg, the Minister, the Taoiseach, the Tanaiste, the opposition leaders and cabinets, Mario Monti, Erkii Liikanen, MEPs, TDs, Dana, Bibi, Gina, Dale, Haze and the Champions. Everywhere! ;) And if it doesn't come together for Boards ISP Inc, thanks for trying anyway.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

I hereby volunteer my services as a human mast!

Best of luck.

Much like those auld lads on Moore St

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It would be great of the board's spread like a virus or plague around the country, eating up the big ISP's with cheap affordable but class quality boardband!

"We are the board, resistance is futile, your technoligical distinctiveness will be added to our own. All others are just muppets :D!"

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

DeVore. If you want to talk to someone at IrishWAN you can get in contact with me at robfitz@273k.net (FYI, I'm the DublinWAN Chairperson). Or you can join us in the #irishwan channel on irc.irishwan.org, a number of the committee members from the other county group hang out there during the day.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Saruman
    "We are the board, resistance is futile, your technoligical distinctiveness will be added to our own. All others are just muppets :D!"

Maybe use that for marketing, or maybe not..... :p

tbh in the big scheme of things, atleast Esat has better services then Eircom.
    So I just hope we make a nice big dent in Eircoms revenue from Broadband, because I for one would dump my land line if I could get wireless access.

So as well as Eircom loosing a landline customer, they'll loose money from Esat when I drop Broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

I whole hartly endorse this product/service :)

You can have my money when it gets up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Good luck lads!

A question from a novice. When you say that the wires in the ground are never going to be a solution for the backbone, what are the alternatives.

Originally posted by Valentia
    Good luck lads!

A question from a novice. When you say that the wires in the ground are never going to be a solution for the backbone, what are the alternatives.

we have good wires for backhaul its the "last mile" wires that are the problem as only eircom owns them. These are the phone wires between you and the exchange, which are not the best and would cost a fortune to upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Verdegris in other words.

Originally posted by Muck
    Verdegris in other words.

sorry but Verdegris? what does this mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

verdigris

verdigris [vúrdi gree, vúrdi greess] noun
    1.green deposit on copper: a green or greenish-blue deposit (patina) on copper, brass, and bronze that is caused by atmospheric corrosion and consists of copper carbonates.
    Also called verd antique
    2.greenish copper powder: a green or greenish-blue poisonous powder that is used as a paint pigment and fungicide. It is formed by the action of acetic acid on copper and consists of one or more basic copper acetates.

[14th century. From Old French vert de Grece, literally ‘green of Greece’.]

Encarta® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1999, 2000 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

• Advertisement

thanks makes sense now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

Here's a few bits and pieces that I've come across on my wireless travels....

Backhaul: Cheapest is Packet Exchange - they'll do an MPLS connection to the UK from Interxion in Park West. From London, they can sell you connectivity from Level3. They can also sell you a virtual connection to the Linx, AMS-IX and MAE-East.

http://www.packetexchange.net

From Park West you can connect directly to the T50, so you can get a dirt cheap connection to DEG in Kilcarberry (from Esat) and you can connect into the INEX there.

If you go the wireless route, then you should give ESB Towerco a call, they'll be able to offer you space on any of their towers. You should be able to get a backhaul to a data centre from ESB Fibreco.

A good supplier of wireless gear is Aperto Networks:
    http://www.apertonet.com/

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Great, yeah I'm thinking about the ESB alright, we might be able to use them. Must have a chat with them.
    As I said apart from last mile and backhaul to Dublin we are sorted. Once it get to a server near Boards we can use Boards' rather ridiculously large upstream connectivity to send the requests out and back again. We really do have some savage connections out of H365 and DEG and we'd be buying bandwidth specifically for the ISP element.

My mail box was rather interesting this morning I can tell you all :):)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

If only I COULD wave my hand and all Eircom's routers would just fall over. That would be cool. I mean, it would crash the irish internet but, uhhuh, it would still be cool :)
    005.jpg

Best of luck with your endeavour. If you go the ripwave way, it could be the answer to all our dreams (the telco-related ones anyway :ninja: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

There's an outfit called EtherLinx in California that I've been reading about on and off over the last year. They're doing some Navini-like work on NLOS wirelss BB. Their website is a bit vague about what they've actually done, but they might be useful.

Regardless, this is a great initiative. I would gladly sign up, and help out any way I can.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, both here and elsewhere...

Over the next few weeks we'll be approaching the wireless operators to see what they will offer us as a community. Its kinda like collective buying power I guess.

I'll keep you informed but first I'm going to do what I think every ISP should have done. I'm going to get myself a Commercial Interaction board for this and start getting organised :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Non line of sight Wireless is the only solution, if you get it up a running id sign up instantly and offer my help in any way to make it happen, Please dont give up!!!!!!

Give up??

We're only getting started. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Give up??

We're only getting started. :)

DeV.

I believe the admins are DOUBLE hard and won't give up on this so as long 'we' the community stands behind them. Bring it on lads :-)

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

as many others have said this would be amazing. Id be willing to stick some capital into shares if you every go that route.

All the best of luck, hoping ill be connectin to boards through boards one day :)

Advertisement