Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie ISP? Our travels in Telcoland...

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by flav0rflav
    Dev,

You say that the RADSL 512k service is contended at the DSLAM, ie. one 512k VC coming from the dslam, for upto 48 users. This is not explicit from eircom's public docs. Did they tell you this or is this your interpretation of the docs?

I can tell you that this is true, often eircom put things on their site only to realise what they are and quickly remove them, this was one of those piece of information. More exactly it was that Radsl had twice the contention ratio of standard adsl. still 28:1, but sharing half the pipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

since most solutions connect at a far higher speed to the exchange (DSL @4mbit, WiFi @ 11mbit) will we have this speed between our fellow users of this service?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

That really depends on the service provider.

We have to even identify one first though we already have one provider who thinks its a good idea if we can work out the details.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭drjolt

Originally posted by DeVore

Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

DeV.

Speaking of which, at what point do you forsee being able to make any details public? I don't see the point in discussing this if it's purely vapourware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Hey,

I don't know where Muck is getting his info from regarding Irish Broadband never moving beyond the top 5 towns in Ireland. Is it solely based on IBB's relationship with NTR? Personally, I'm not a great fan of Irish Broadband, and I know they don't exactly have the best reputation as regards their Boards.ie usage, but I feel that assumptions on their business model serve no purpose here.

Anyway, I'd just like to make another point RE: IBB. They have hade huge trouble with their service off all their masts (although I think problems developed with other masts later than the RTE one), so much so that it has been close to unusable (or certainly incredibly sub-standard) for the 5 months I have used it (and the problems still remain on the RTE mast mind you). From posts on other boards, these seemed to be spectrum saturation issues (802.11x is what they use afaik).

Just something to bear in mind I guess ;)

Serb

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Dr Jolt. This is not vapourware. But I have been at pains to point out that the market is very very poor for niche operators like we would be. I am not confident that we will be able to bring the service I want to offer to the market. Until I am certain of that I'm not committing to anything.

I will not offer a substandard solution. So its either going to work by my terms or it wont fly at all.

In terms of information release. As soon as I know something and the party involved is happy that we talk about it I'll fill people in. Funnily enough that increases the "vapourware" problem because I'll be filling people in on things that may or may not happen.... you cant be on the front-edge of information and deal in certainties at the same time.

I wasnt going to say anything until we had a partner signed sealed and delivered but given what was going on and the experiences we had I felt that IOFFL members would be interested to see the story of someone right at the coal face trying to make a reality of the political rhetoric.

I'll be starting a board specific to this ISP idea soon so that we can take the threads in a number of different directions.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Its been 9 days surely Boards ISP is up and running by now :D.Seriously though any news would be great good, bad, or indifferent.

The problem with negotiating stuff is that if people think I'm going to arrive back here and blab it all out, they are necessarily more cautious then they might otherwise be.

This post was a delurk to ensure that I wasnt being hypocritical regarding other people who had vested interests and didnt reveal them.

What I'm going to do is once we have an agreement with a supplier (and I've already spoken with 2 wireless providers who are interested), we're going to create a Commercial Interaction board here, where everyone can keep up to date on the issue and offer advice and assistance etc.

Until then I have a few sensitive discussions to have and I have to maintain a veil of sensitivity until they are over.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

sounds sensitive to me.

I'm a sensitive guy.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

market forces and NDA's more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

Just saw this thread, interesting prospect, all the room in the market for you. Its just breaking down the Republic guard - eircom. Boards ISP could be the samurai special forces in a battle of ogres. I would volunteer to help freely, my CV includes extra curricular abilities such as planting and detonating c4 in random exchanges, LRDslamR and parying for minus interger pingage to the Devyllama.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

You Go Girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Thats good enough for me.
    we're going to create a Commercial Interaction board here

This would be really handy to gauge the true number (from the boards at least)of people who would sign up to such services.

Best of luck lads :D

Advertisement