Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards ISP?

Options
  • 05-06-2003 5:29pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We've made an announcement over here

It is regarding our desire to offer high quality ISP access.

It doesnt make for pretty reading but I think people here should be aware of our intentions. The idea is to bring our kinda unique community borg-thing to Internet Provision.

Feedback here, or on IOFFL whichever you think is more appropriate to your post.

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Is there no stopping this thing? :D

Interesting concept though - a "community" ISP.

Souns good - so best of luck with it :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There has been no "stopping this thing" (ie the Internet) since Arpanet.

The resistance we are feeling now is the realisation by big companies that they have failed to own it (through big portals) and failed to contain it (through anti-competitive practises and lawsuits) and that no matter how they twist and turn, they are middle men who's time is up (cf: the RIAA).

The screeching sound of lawsuits and desperate attempts to rebottle the Genie (cf: Palladium) is just the sound of the metal infrastructure being pulled down by collective weight of numbers.
    Before it was just those annoying nerds doing their weird nerd thing.... little did they realise... :):)

As far as ISP's go, I'm reminded of that line from the Matrix.
    "they guard all the doors, they hold all the keys and sooner or later someone is going to have to fight them".
    Well, sorry folks but I aint Neo. I cant force them to play ball but we're going to damned well see if there are any ways around their doors and into your homes. :)

DeV.

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    Is there no stopping this thing? :D

I only meant boards :p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Boards is merely an expression of the fundemental internet. I nicked the idea from Usenet which I loved and which I watched be destroyed by its naivety. *shakes fist at sky*.

We're borging more and more as we grow. Today sees us offer telco independant mail. If you are concerned about the privacy bills before the dail currently you know why thats important.

We're borging webhosting and blogging now. Next up we hope to look at shells and some perhaps the resurrection of the old-school hacker ethos of teaching people not how to program to destroy but how to program to create.

After that why not journalism... stop people from writing puff pieces to keep advertisers happy and reheating press-releases.
    I trust Muck/Skeptic1 on telco stuff over ENN or TechCentral anyday of the week.

Why not other areas where corporate structure leads to a conflict of interest between their shareholders and us, the consumer...

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

/me longs for the day when "ssh [email]mordeth"at"boards.ie[/email]" becomes a reality :D

• Advertisement

I realised that and then deleted my stupid post.

Sorry.

SSH may not be long off at all but we have to see how things go.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Where do I pick up my implants?

regeneration unit 3, drone. :)

Oh sh*t... does that make me queenie?? /me remembers a pic Kstop did once of him as borg queen. Its was... disturbing....

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

585queendev.jpg?9766

Yeah, kinda is really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

HAHAHAH

HAHHAAHHAHAHA
    *deep breath*

rofl

oh that's almost good enough for a new background

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I like this idea :) , Imagine the customer services.. just amp.. telling people to FO or lick his noobles... one or the other.

Be nice to se deffo. Some kind of play on the words "Boards" and "Broadband" perhaps? "Boardsband" :D .

If it doesn't conflict with "Boards Band" that is...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

a/d/s/l?

Yeah our working title for it is "Boardband". :)

For the moment we havent found a way to do it yet but we're still looking.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Originally posted by amp
    585queendev.jpg?9766

Yeah, kinda is really.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Holy ****....
    hahahha, best photoshoppage ever.
    amp is redeemed in my eyes.

I must say It's a great Idea, the whole ISP thing, at least we know you're not as money driven as the big telcos.
    We might have some chance of decent broadband yet.

Well Done lads.

My hat comes off to yiz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Great idea.
    It will be crazy if it ever happens.

Originally posted by DeVore
    Boards is merely an expression of the fundemental internet. I nicked the idea from Usenet which I loved and which I watched be destroyed by its naivety. *shakes fist at sky*............

DeV.

*reminds self never to reply to DeV when he posts about all things internet*

and I really must stop listening to RATM. Its just not good for me. :)

DeV.

Advertisement